Chapter 23: Cursed part 3 - Conclusion

Start from the beginning

He felt so numb he just sat there like a statue for a moment then slowly the blood started flowing through his veins again and he reciprocated not wanting to let go of the comfort it provided. Linda released him after a moment looking at him apprehensively. "I know you won't believe this right now because your heart feels a little broken and your pride is a little bruised...but those two people love you."

He snorted in disbelief.

"You will see they are supporting you -- they aren't judging you."

"Right," he scoffed, "that's why the Detective ran in here ready to stop me from losing it and hurting you. I would never hurt you!" he stated emphatically.

"I know that and so does she. From my unbiased perspective it appeared to me that she and your brother were far more concerned about your emotional state than about me," she clarified.

He huffed, scrambling to his feet, disdainfully smoothing down the wrinkles in his suit. "Well, this has truly been the most horrific of days," he complained, ignoring what she had just said.

Always going in the wrong direction she mused to herself but she wasn't telling him off quite yet. "And you survived it. I don't usually insert clichés into my counseling but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. After everything you have told me today and everything you have been through you have proven yourself to be a survivor. Lucifer you have incredible inner strength. You can meet and conquer everything full on and for those moments when you feel like you are in over your head you came to me,"

He smirked unexpectedly. "And you'll hold my head above water -- will you wear a bikini or are we skinny dipping in this scenario?"

She couldn't help but laugh and then winked. "Skinny dipping I think."

"Lovely," he chirped back.

Her insides relaxed. His humor was like an unstoppable force -- every so often he would take a beating but just keep on going. She was glad that it proved he was strong, Having survived hell for eons and all that happened before she was starting to realize he perhaps needed these mini breakdowns to release the anxiety and the pain that had built up in him over the years and had never been dealt with. He was still far too mistrusting to share them with Amenadiel or Maze and too scared of what her reaction would be to share them with Chloe. She was glad he had entered her life and she was in a position to help him. She wished it didn't hurt watching him go through it.

"Lucifer." She went over to him standing on her toes reached up and cupped his face. "You are lucky -- you have people who love you -- don't make the mistake of shutting them out. Everyone makes mistakes -- Amenadiel and Chloe should not have done what they did today -- but they did it to try and find a way to help you. Don't punish them for that by shutting them out."

He pulled away. "They betrayed me."

Linda softly admonished him, "That's probably exactly what your father thought of you when you rebelled with other like-minded angels. Don't follow in his footsteps."

He stared at her frowning, his black eyes pensive.

She handed him ginger ale and pulled out the sofa bed, "I'm going to suggest you stay here tonight. You need some time to yourself to rest and reflect. I am going to go home but you know how to reach me in case you want to talk some more."

He pressed his lips together and watched her grab her purse and jacket with an unreadable expression.

She stopped. "Are you going to be all right?"

"I'm not some broken doll you have to glue back together. I'm the devil after all -- the second most powerful being in existence," he responded in a detached manner.