32. "Say I love you instead."

Chapter Thirty Two

Elena's POV

"I appreciate you working for us. It's actually an enormous honor..." I sighed, leaning my back against my office chair, "but you know, my husband wouldn't like it once he'll know. He still thought that we had a past."

"Sorry to hear that," he frowned, "when your business partner contacted my agency, I thought you considered my suggestion for me to model your clothing line."

I shook my head. "Camella did it behind my back. It surprised me when she showed me your portfolio."

Christian's brows drew together. "You want me to back out of the deal?"

"I don't think that's possible. She'd fight me tooth and nail."

"She seems a determined woman."

"Yeah. She who would do anything to make our brand known. Hiring you to represent our brand would make a big impact on the market."

"That's very flattering. To be honest, I rarely model for clothing brands. But because of you, I accepted."

"Ah... really. I still remember you've said that it's the least that you can do, because you can't tell the truth that there was nothing between us."

"Not only that," he shrugged, "I feel this... connection between us."

"Please stop, Christian. Don't go there. I'm a happily married woman now."

"Hey, I'm talking about friendship, nothing else. I know you're married and I respect that."

"Oh..."

"With my profession, it's so rare of me to meet someone whom I can connect easily, to talk freely about anything. The first time I met you, I felt like I've known you for too long already."

"I always get that feeling with older people."

His eyebrows furrowed. "I'm not old!"

We laughed and started talking about random stuff. I learned he was not only an actor, model and entrepreneur but also an environmentalist. He told me about his projects in preserving the environment.

"So, you're a happy now?" he asked, while eating the French macaroons that he brought for me.

"Yeah. Adonis and I sorted our relationship. Finally, we got to understand each other."

"Good for you both."

"That's why I have to tell him the truth about us. Or else he'll get so mad once he knows that you're modelling our men's collection. It could break our marriage."

"Well," he wiped his mouth with his handkerchief, "you're right. If I'm in his shoes, I'll be so mad as well. Tell him he deserves to know."

"Thanks Christian, I'll tell him tonight."

But during the evening, Adonis arrived home looking so upset. He lost a big business deal in Germany.

"Dammit. We were only five minutes late in submitting our proposal," he was in a rage as he narrated the incident before dinner, "we could have emailed it early morning, but that lazy ass supplier took too long to reply! We should have made an estimate of the cost of some materials..."

I ended up listening to him. I could not tell him about Christian, it would only upset him more.

The following morning, he left early to visit his project site. The conversation I expected in the evening never happened, because he suggested another honeymoon. We were so happy and excited when we talked about it. A mention of Christian's name would only spoil his good mood, so I deferred.