38. "Were you looking for me?"

Chapter Thirty Eight

Elena's POV

A call woke me up at midnight.

"Mrs. Stavrakos?"

It was Sheila, Grandpa's personal assistant.

"What is it?"

"We're in the hospital right now," there was a siren sound in the background, so loud I could barely hear her.

My heart hammered so fast, "what happened?"

"Your grandpa had a stroke."

Adonis' POV

*Two months later

Everyone fell silent when I entered the Stavrakos building. One could hear a pin drops on the floor at its solemnity. The front guards looked shock when I strode through the main door. The receptionists and staff in the lobby stared at me with questioning eyes, doubting if I was really their boss.

I was gone and came back hardly unrecognizable.

I looked out of place when I stepped inside the building, with my overlong hair and beard, worn out cargo khaki pants, gray shirt that used to be white, and a climbing boots with traces of mud around the soles edges.

I had my black backpack with me I carried everywhere. Inside were the essential things I needed to survive in the past two months.

I climbed Mount Everest. I joined the expedition to reach the peak of the mountain. It had been one of my bucket list in life.

I entered my private elevator and headed to the penthouse. After two hours, I was back at my old self again. Wearing my usual businessman attire with a clean cut hairstyle and well-shaven face.

I had a meeting with the department heads, officers, company lawyers and managers, and they gave me feedback regarding the status of the Stavrakos holdings while I was away. Everything was doing well, Dad and our trusted team managed the company well in my absence.

I was very busy in the office, catching up with the paperworks that had been pending for two months. I have to finish the rush transactions before I would settle my personal life.

I stayed in the Penthouse. Going home at the Stavrakos Mansion just reminded me of Elena and everything we did together. It just made me feel so empty without her.

Friday night, I had dinner with my parents in their mansion, the place where I grew up.

"I'm glad you came," Mom said, after the chef presented the main dish, "I heard you're always working until midnight, and that's not healthy anymore."

"You should be happy that I'm working, and not drinking in the bar."

Dad coughed, then said, "he enjoys working, hon. Let him be."

"I'm just concern about you, Adonis," Mom continued despite my warning, "you're putting too much pressure on yourself. Get out and meet your friends, have fun! You're always in the office working too hard."

"At this moment, it's the only thing that keeps me going every day," I pushed my plate, done after forcing myself to eat.

Our topic shifted on business, about our current dealing and plans for next year. The topic about me and my struggle stopped.

"I have a favor to ask from you," Dad said.

"What is it?"

"You know we want to go to Maldives for our wedding anniversary, right?" Dad continued.
"Of course," I turned to mom, who was enjoying her avocado sorbet, "you can't stop talking about it these past few days."