31. "French Macaroons."

Chapter Thirty One

Elena's POV

"Oh my goodness, Camella, why did you do this?" I looked at the glossy photos of a male model lying on my desk. My heart sank in disappointment, as I turned my attention to my best friend, "you should have told me before you hired Christian."

"You wouldn't agree if I did. Besides, I don't need your permission. I'm in charge of the Marketing and promotions," Camella reasoned out, her eyebrows frowning.

"Haven't you thought of what you did? You're jeopardizing my marriage. Adonis will get mad once he found out that we hired Christian as our top male model."

"Just because he funded the business he calls all the shots?" her arms clasped together, "this is business. We should keep everything professional. Personal matters are the least of our concern. We won't grow and achieve our goals if we do."

"But Camella... you know my husband. He won't like it. He's jealous of Christian."

"If he really cares for you, then he won't mind. He should support you," she let out a frustrated groan, "we've been working on this for years already. This is our dream, Elena, and now that it's happening, you're slowing down."

"My marriage matters to me. I love Adonis, and all I want right now is to make our marriage work."

"ALL YOU WANT," she chuckled nastily, "did you hear yourself? What the fuck, Elena. What about me, huh? We're together on this! Now that your lovey-dovey with your billionaire, all our dreams vanished?"

"No, that's not it. You know what I really meant, Camella."

"I don't! We promised to stick together and not leave each other behind. We're sisters!"

"Of course we are."

"You're not acting like the Elena I knew anymore. Isn't it your plan to make this business very successful so you can get your freedom away from your grandpa and Adonis?"

"I know, but-"

"I'm helping you stick to your original plan. What made the table turn? Or.. does he really fuck you so good?"

"Camella!"

"HA! You were a strong woman, Elena. Now that you're falling too hard for Adonis, you're becoming his puppet." Her lips pressed together in anger.

"I'm not! I'm still the same. Falling in love doesn't make one weak."

"Oh, really?" her eyebrows rose, "you're only fooling yourself. He's not even in love with you. He's just using you for sex!"

"How dare you say that!"

"Why? Does it hurts," she laughed briefly, then glared at me. "The truth really hurts Elena."

"I was wrong about Adonis. He's not like grandpa. In fact, the opposite. He's kind, very caring... his very compassionate with his employees..."

"Oh, Elena..." her lips pursed, "sugar coat him, with a cherry on top. But you're being fickle-minded. You don't know what you want anymore. You're blinded by your love for him."

"You're right, I don't know what I want anymore. All I know is that I love him so much and I want to be with him."

"You became so weak because of him. Get a grip of yourself. I hired Christian, and there's nothing you can do about it," she shrugged her shoulders and left.

Damn. She could be brutal sometimes. That was her nature.

I already tested my friendship with Camella many times. She was not just a friend, but a family to me and Mom. I could not just get angry with her. We loved each other like actual sisters.

__

Two days later, I arrived late in the office.

"What's going on?" I asked when I saw a group of female employees giggling outside the Studio room.

"Good morning, Elena," one girl greeted. We made a habit in the office to call each other by our first names, regardless of the position in the company, "Christian Firth is here, having a photoshoot."

"I see," I replied, and went directly to my office. The moment I entered, it surprised me to see a bouquet and a box of French macaroons on my desk.

I read the card. They were from Christian, telling me he was happy to be working with us.

My heart sank. How can I explain to Adonis that I have nothing to do with hiring Christian?

Inside my office, I answered my emails and worked on our new designs, when there was a knock on my door.

It was Christian, wearing a bright smile.

I had nothing against Christian. He was very nice and friendly, made talking easy and fun. I just avoided him because of Adonis jealousy, when in fact, there was no need to, because Christian was not really my ex. Grandpa only made it all up.

I should tell Adonis the truth about Christian.