PART 14: i starve without you on my lips;

Mal was sitting in the booth with Uma, waiting for Jay and Carlos to return with the refills. Audrey and Evie disappeared into the bathroom not so long ago. So Mal was left with her best friend and an empty glass.

"So, you and Audrey, huh?" the blond broke the silence.

"Yup," Uma nodded awkwardly.

"How did that happen?"

"Y'know, we've been in touch since that karaoke night," Uma shrugged.

"Nice,"

"Yeah,"

"I'm happy for you," Mal pushed her lips together in an attempted smile.

"Me too. Now tell me, how did that talk with Evie go?" Uma asked, excitement in her eyes. "I mean you are both here so I guess all's good?"

"Well, it didn't go as I thought it would,"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, we talked and basically ended up having sex-" Mal was cut short as Jay and Carlos came bearing a tiny tray with glass shots.

"Audrey and Evie have not come back yet?" Carlos inquired. Mal hoped they didn't hear the last part of their conversion.

Uma's face was priceless, shifted between shock and a smile, ending up in a grimace. Mal chuckled at her.

"Yeah, no. You know girls and bathrooms," Uma replied to the freckled man, hands flying around frantically.

Like right on cue both women approached their table miserably giggling as they walked closer.

"Yo, what got you all giggly," Jay asked, sitting next to Mal. The last conversation she had with him still lingered in her mind but with his charming personality, she felt more relaxed around him. They both acted as if that conversation in her office never existed. She could work with that.

Evie struggled to sit on the high stool in front of Mal but started laughing again after Jay's question and decided to stay up.

"It was so funny, I can't," Audrey laughed, preparing to tell the story. Their laugh was so contagious that all of them started chuckling.

"We accidentally walked into the men's bathroom," Evie started, choking a laugh.

"What?" Uma chortled looking at Audrey for an explanation.

"It wasn't on purpose, I swear," the woman said smiling. "We startled some guy at the urinal and everything is a mess now," Audrey looked at Jay and Carlos with an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry guys,"

Mal laughed although she did not find it funny at all. She blamed it on the alcohol.

"Poor guy," Jay commented and sighed. "Eh, shots time!" he gestured to the small cups in front of them.

"What did you take?" Evie asked him, picking up the shot glass and examining its content with her blurry eyes.

"I have no idea," Jay laughed. "Cheers," he lifted his glass, the others following his movement.

"Cheers!" they mumbled after him.

Mal drowned the shot, the alcohol tasting disgusting but she liked how it burned down her throat.

"This tastes funny," Carlos said, clearing his throat. "I'm never letting you get drinks again,"

"Fair point," the long-haired man agreed with a grimace on his face.

Mal spaced off, watching Evie examining her empty shot glass. She looked so pure and unbelievably pretty which made Mal's heart long for her. Despite all the times they slept together already, Mal still couldn't understand. Why wouldn't they have what Jay and Carlos or even Uma and Audrey had?