Chapter 15

This might just be the absolute worst idea, I've ever come up with...

I'm gonna get fired...

My nerves are trembling as I take my seat in my fighter jet, setting everything up. It's early the next day and class is about to begin. And I'm not there... I know that Maverick is kicked out so it's probably Cyclone that's standing in front of the class right now. 

I know that my brother and Coyote and definitely Phoenix will probably kill me after this, but if it works, I'm a bloody genius. 

I start the plane, no turning back now. I take off, and soon enough, I'm in the sky. Normally, this is a great feeling, but today I'm more nervous than ever. If this doesn't work, I might actually end up in jail or something. 

I get closer to the course. It's now or never. I open for radio signal and speak up. 

"Control Range, this is Nova. Entering point Alpha, confirm Green Range" I turn my signal on. 

Everyone is probably watching. 

Don't fuck this up, Luisa

"Range Control to Nova, Green Range is confirmed. But uh... I don't see a scheduled event for you yet, Lieutenant" someone answers. 

"Well... I'm going anyway"

I turn off my radio again, not wanting to hear their answer about how I'm probably fired by now. There is definitely no turning back now. I'm closing in on point Alpha. My timer is set and ready. It's go time. 

In a swift motion, I fly past the checkpoint and my timer starts. 

2.28

I begin the canyon course, remembering it back from when I flew it with Maverick. I speed it, feeling myself going in zigzag motions with a lot more ease now. 

1.46

Closer and closer. Punch up... now! I speed up, flying over the first imaginary mountaintop in the inverted way that Maverick has taught us. My head feels heavy, but my stubbornness is a lot stronger. I'm a fucking Seresin after all. It's in my blood. 

0.59

"Bombs away" I say, aiming for the first part of the target. 

Don't miss, don't miss, don't miss. 

And it's a hit! I mentally cheer for myself, but it isn't over yet. I still need to do the hardest part of it all. 

0.21

I instantly begin the hard G-climb up the mountain. Doing everything I can in order not to go into G-LOC. I look at my screen as I'm pointing the missiles at the target for the second time. My eyes are being pressed so far back in my head that I feel my focus starting to wear off. My fingers shake as I desperately try to reach the button. 

Don't think, just do.

I press it and hope for the best as the time stops and I pull over the mountain. I look at the ground where the target has been blown up. I did it! And the time? I let out a cheer for myself as I look at the time. 

0.039

I have never been more relived. With only 39 milliseconds, I did it. 

But now came the worst part. I flew back to the base, and the minute I got out of the plane, Admiral Bates, Vice Admiral Simpson and Maverick all stood in front of me, looking incredibly intimidating. 

I already knew, what was coming. I was just hoping that my little stunt would show the Admirals that we needed Maverick's ways of teaching in order to survive the mission.