Chapter 12

The next day, we are all met with the face of Vice Admiral Simpson aka Cyclone. Maverick is standing on the sideline with a worried look on his face. 

Something tells me, Cyclone isn't here to bring good news. 

"We've received more intel on the mission" he begins, clearing his throat, "The Uranium Enrichment Plant that is your target will be operational earlier than we thought. Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in almost 10 days time. As a result, your mission has been moved up by one week"

He can't be serious... one week?

I glance around the class to see the color drains from peoples faces. They were nervous. We all were. We only had a week left to prepare for the mission now. 

"But sir, none of us have successfully flown the low level canyon course yet" Coyote spoke. 

I guess, Maverick hadn't told people that I flew it a couple days ago. 

"Yet you have been ordered to move on" Cyclone says, a regretful look present on his face. "Captain"

He steps aside to let Maverick take his place in front of the class again. 

"We have one week to focus on Phase Two. This phase is the most difficult and crucial part of the mission" Maverick says while the screen behind him changes again to show Phase Two. 

"Phase Two is a pop up strike with a deep dive which requires nothing less than two consecutive miracles" he holds up two fingers. 

I feel myself swallow the lump in my throat. 

"Two miracles, sir?" I stutter and Maverick nods. 

"Two pairs of F-18s will fly front to back. Teamwork and precise coordination is essential to the missions success" he explains, "And to your survival" he adds in a mumble, but loud enough for us to hear. 

"The uranium plant rests between two mountains, as told before. On a final approach, you'll invert directly into a steep dive. This will allow you to fly down the mountain at the lowest altitude and give the only possible attack angle" Maverick explains while the screen behind him shows it. 

"Your target is an impact point less than 3 meters wide. The two seat aircraft will lead, guiding the laser lock for the solo pilot. They will first breach the reactor by releasing the laser guided missile on the exposed ventilation hatch here." he points at the screen. "This will create an opening for the second pair to aim, lock, and load and therefor delivering the kill shot to destroy the target. If either team misses the target... the mission is a failure" he ends. 

Great. 

"What happens when we've hit the target?" Phoenix asks, making Maverick look at her. 

His expression changes into what looks like pity. "That's Coffin Corner" he states. 

"You will pilot into a steep higher G-climb to avoid hitting the mountain." Maverick answers, looking at all of us. 

"But sir, a steep climb at that speed, you're pulling at least 8 G's" I say, feeling the nerves kick in. 

"9, minimum" Maverick corrects me. 

"The stress limit of the F-18's airframe is 7.5" Rooster speaks up. 

"That's just the accepted limit. To survive this mission, you'll have to pull beyond that. Even if it means bending your airframe. You will be pulling so hard that your weight will come close to 2000 pounds. Your skull crushing your spine, your lungs imploding as if an elephant was sitting on your chest. Fighting with everything you have to keep you from blacking out" Maverick states.