Mistaken Identity

Jung kook~It took every bit of bravery I had to continue putting one foot in front of the other

Jung kook~
It took every bit of bravery I had to continue putting one foot in front of the other. I could feel the eyes of every person at the ceremony boring painfully into the back of my skull. I was going to puke before I ever made it to the top of the stairs, I was positive of it.

It didn't help that the girl I couldn't tear my gaze from didn't look at all happy to see me. In fact, she looked rather panicked and angry. She seemed so different now. The girl I knew was shy, not an attention seeker; she had a beautiful smile, not frown lines between her eyebrows; she had seemed easy-going, giving me a sense of calm that other girls did not.

Had I really been this far off the mark about her?

The whispers of the people behind me almost drowned her shrill, "Who are you? I don't even know you!" One whisper can easily be ignored, but over five hundred whispers put together sounded like a snake the size of a bus slithering up behind me.

One of the girls in the long line of bridesmaids openly giggled as I tripped over the top step.

"Stop that this instance," the groom hissed at her. "Nothing about this is funny."

I suddenly felt terrible. I hadn't thought this through at all. Now that I was up on the dais I didn't know what to do, so I resorted to fumbling with the red thread that was presently turning the end of my finger purple. I hadn't thought about what I would say.

I turned toward the groom, Jisung, and searched for the words that would make any of this make sense, but my resolve crumbled at the sympathetic look on his face. He looked sorry for me. I had effectively ruined his wedding day, one way or another, but he was obviously worried about me.

The priest stepped forward and suggested going into the anteroom to sort out the situation. Jisung, however, stepped forward and took my arm. "Let me talk to him alone first," he said as he guided me toward the door to one side of the stage.

The groomsmen snickered amongst themselves about the beating I was sure to receive, but Jisung didn't actually appear to be angry at all. Still, I tensed in apprehension as he closed the door behind us.

Nothing happened.

"Sit down," he suggested, pulling two chairs away from the wall and situating them directly across from each other.

He calmly sat in one and crossed his legs; I warily lowered myself into the other.

"You're Tala's friend, aren't you?" he said patiently. "You have no reason to fear me. I'm sorry I laughed at you that day in the grocery store, but you have to admit that was kind of hilarious. This though—just help me understand what's going on."

I was silent for a few seconds as I collected my thoughts. I realized how insane I was about to sound. I was in love with a girl with whom I had only spoken a few words. I knew beyond any shadow of a doubt she was my soul mate. Or, at least, I had felt this way right up until I walked up on that stage and broke up the wedding.