The Same, but Not the Same

I saw him, last night in the club.

He was standing next to his friend, staring up at her—his mouth hanging wide open.

And in that moment, I knew.

She, who was so similar to me and yet nothing like me, who pulled people in with her boisterous nature and easy going ways, had done it again. I will say this for my sister, she did weed out the players for me.

I hadn't really learned enough about him yet, but I had trusted my instincts that he seemed different from the others; I thought he was the type that would want something real, rather than something easy. Obviously, I was wrong.

No man that looked at Tasha like that would ever look twice at me—and I wouldn't want him to. Even though we were identical twins, my sister and I were nothing alike.

She was outgoing and sexy, insensitive and irresponsible, and above all, manipulative. The men who tried to get with her only wanted one thing, and they usually got it. Poor Jisung, even with his faults, didn't deserve the pain he would eventually endure after today. She was truly not marriage material.

"Tala, bring those stockings over here."

I peered at her in the antique mirror, ignoring the harsh tone of her voice, as I adjusted the sash of the deep plum dress she'd chosen to complement the lavender gowns the other bridesmaids wore. She raised her eyebrow at me, the message clear that I was not moving fast enough.

I may be quiet and somewhat timid, but I am nobody's peasant. I deliberately slowed my movements to a snail's pace, never taking my eyes from her. The others hovered around her, catering to her every whim. Why did she feel the need to order me about? Weren't the others enough for her?

To answer my own question—no, they weren't. Just because her wedding was taking place in a castle did not make her a princess. She, however, didn't understand this. In her mind she deserved, and would have, nothing less than one hundred percent of the attention—one way or another.

"Pleeeease, Tala," she wheedled, "I'm under such stress today. Won't you be a dolly and bring me my stockings?"

She smiled slightly, actually looking very nervous and vulnerable, and I relented, picking up the stockings with a sigh. Maybe Tasha's marriage to Jisung would mark a big change for her. Hopefully after today, she wouldn't be so wild or demanding. Perhaps I should try to be a better, more supportive sister.

"Where did you disappear to last night?" she asked, shattering my delusional daydreams with her next words. "You really missed out, you know. You didn't get to see the conquest of the night. Or should I say—conquests?" She emphasized the S at the end, drawing it out much like a snake would.

Not him—please not him.

"More than one?" I gasped, "Tasha, how could you? And on the night before your own wedding!"  

Last night, I'd only had eyes for him when I spotted him on my way back to the table, but I now remembered that he'd had a friend with him, also ogling Tasha. She practically purred as she reached out for the delicate white stockings I extended in her direction.

Both of them? My stomach turned, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

Every morning, I had looked forward to his shy sidelong glances and his sweet embarrassed grins. He was so beautiful and I let myself believe his smiles were meant especially for me. Now I realized he probably aimed that smile at every female in his path. I wasn't special to him—not even remotely. He didn't even know who I was.

Relief washed over me that I had turned around and left the club before I witnessed what must have happened next. I hadn't been having any fun anyway; there were too many people and they were pressing far too close for my comfort. I was a homebody; the club scene was not my thing. At first, I only went outside to pull myself together so that I didn't embarrass myself in front of him. However, as I leaned against the back of my cousin's car I realized that I was more comfortable in the parking lot, by myself. He wasn't who I thought he was; there was no reason to try to get to know him further. I didn't have to go back inside. My sister wouldn't miss me; she was the center of attention, as usual. I suddenly wanted to go home—so I did.