Hold On While I Overthink This

"You touched her where?"

Jimin's energy drink shot out his nose he was laughing at me so hard. I, however, didn't find it funny at all. I sat on the ground, leaning against the fence and wiping sweat from my face. I watched Yoongi spin the ball on the tip of his finger while he waited for the rest of us to catch our breath between games.  It was Saturday, and Saturday meant basketball in the park with my friends.

"I didn't mean to. It was an accident," the slight whine sounded pathetic even to me. "I was so embarrassed I wished the floor would open up and swallow me whole. What am I supposed to do now? I have to see this woman every day on my way to work."

Jin shook his head as he said sarcastically, "I don't see what the problem is. Just apologize again. It's not like you actually grabbed her. Act like a man, JK."

Jin never understood why I couldn't just get over my awkwardness. He was handsome, assertive, and full of confidence. I wished some of that would rub off on me, but I'd known Jin for years now and as of yet I hadn't figured out the secret to his, or anyone else's, confidence with the opposite sex.

"I don't get it," commented Taehyung, the newest addition to our circle of friends. "You are almost cocky about everything else in your life; in fact, when I first met you I thought you were a little arrogant, especially about sports. Why are you so shy around girls? I've heard them talk about you when we're out at the bars; they think you're hot."

"He's always been like that," Jimin answered. "All the way back to primary school, he couldn't even look a girl in the face, especially if he liked her."

"True. Don't tell him he's hot though; the last thing we need is a big-headed Jungkook. He already dominates us in everything else," said Jin.

He smirked as his best friend, Namjoon, took offense to being found lacking when compared to me. "Oh yeah, he works at the floral market and I'm a biomedical scientist. Someday I'll find the cure to horrible diseases, but Jungkook has me beat career wise?" The sarcasm dripped heavily from Namjoon's words, but the look he gave me was sympathetic.

Namjoon had the reputation of being a fumble fingers every time a pretty girl walked by. He knew what it was like to be so self-conscious that you ended up making a fool of yourself. Even he had a girlfriend though, although it was a relatively new relationship. The man was a bona fide genius, but he had barely put the words together in the right order to ask his girlfriend out. He was just lucky that she found clumsy intellectuals adorable.

If Namjoon could manage it though, maybe I could too. I had good qualities, and if other people were to be believed I'm not bad looking; maybe I could figure out a way after all.

Tae bumped the tip of his sneaker against mine, "If this is a girl you're really into, I know you can do it. I can give you some pointers if you want."

I raised my eyes hopefully to see if he was serious. Kim Taehyung was no slouch with the ladies. In the year I'd known him, he'd never been alone for more than a day or two, sometimes dating multiple girls at once. Not exactly the kind of lifestyle I'd want, but I wasn't his girlfriend. I nodded and smiled my appreciation at him as he reached down and grabbed my hand, hauling me to my feet.