Sick Day

For Vanessa: I hope you enjoy it.

This is a flashback not in Autumn in Philadelphia, but by request.

I hope everyone enjoys it, too.

=================================

"Audrey, I don't mean to sound cold but your dad is in a hospice surrounded by some of the best doctors and nurses in the state of New York." Jon leaned against the door frame with his hands in his pockets.

The student teacher folded her arms over her stomach. "And Shawn has you."

"Then he's gonna die."

Audrey pressed her lips together trying not to laugh at Jon's dramatics. "You will be fine. He will be fine."

Jon gave his head a slow shake. "Kid's gonna die if you leave."

"Jon."

"I probably will, too."

"Jon."

He straightened up and stepped closer to her. "Please stay. It's Saturday. All the clinics are closed for the day. I can't get him to a doctor until Tuesday because of the holiday Monday."

"Jon," Audrey put her hands on his chest as though to instill confidence in him. "It's a sinus infection. He'll be miserable but he will survive. You both will be fine. I have every confidence in you."

The English teacher stared at her. "You don't know us at all, do you?"

Audrey sighed. She was beginning to worry about leaving. "I did the shopping. I have everything you need to make him and yourself comfortable. You shouldn't need to leave the house."

"Audrey..."

"Don't say it." She poked him in the chest. "You are not going to die. And neither is he."

Jon was silent for a moment then leaned over said in a whisper of desperation in her ear, "Can I go with you?"

She pulled back from him. "You're being ridiculous!"

"I don't do sick, Aud," Jon leaned again the door frame again. "I have a hard enough time taking care of myself when I'm sick. I don't know how to take care of a kid! You remember that cold I had in January?"

"Yes, I do. And I'm very thankful colds only last a week. I was this close..." she put her thumb and forefinger up to his nose. There was little space between her fingers. "To requesting another cooperating teacher to finish my student teaching with."

"And you wanna leave Shawn with me?"

Audrey shook her head in exasperation.

Shawn, who had been listening from his bedroom, struggled to the door. He wasn't thrilled with being left with Jon either. "Audrey, are you really leavin'?"

"I have to, Shawn. It's just for a little while. I'll be back Monday morning."

Shawn stared out into space. "Then I'm gonna die," he whimpered.

"See!" Jon said, shoving his hands in the teen's direction. "You leave, we die."

Shawn walked over to Audrey and leaned into her. "Take me with you. I'm too young to die. Jon can't keep fish alive."

Audrey put her arms around him. "To be fair, the fish are partially your fault. Jon thought you were feeding them, and you weren't."

Shawn considered this and panicked even more. "And you're still gonna leave me alone with us? What if I forget to feed me?"