Chapter 35 - Resolves (1)

Start from the beginning

Henri was ready to die. He had given his all to save his homeland. But, they faced a stronger nation, and the other countries of the Democratic Alliance had abandoned them.

To begin with, the Tremblay Guild had zero chance of surviving.

Rico knelt down.

Then, he touched Henri's shoulder and burst out laughing.

Catching his breath, he declared, "No. You won't die- yet. You got in my way on multiple occasions. This time, I'll be the one getting in your way."

Henri froze. His face turned pale, and his breath hastened.

...

Far away, Titan City.

It was the capital of the Western Democratic Alliance Territories. Titan City was known for its statues of influential individuals from past eras. It was also known as the sanctuary for magician students and scholars throughout the Western Continent.

Being owned by the Democratic Alliance, the West DA put the well-being of its population as the number one priority. Medical care, free education, transport, unemployment insurance- It was a welfare state.

Amongst the tens of statues, one, in particular, stood up, the biggest one in Titan City: the figure of a man in a hooded robe. He had a long staff with an orb attached to it.

"This is a statue of the Wise Magician," said Ejiro Sani.

Aaron, Isaac and Gabriella followed him to the foot of the statue. There were carvings engraved in the giant stone plaque in front of them.

It read, 'The Wise Magician, Darius Horlin. 1-88 AD. He who discovered magic.'

Alex looked at their confused expression. "That's where he first appeared. With his unravelled knowledge, he built this city from the ground up before disappearing."

Isaac turned his gaze toward Alex. "Everyone knows that story. But what happened after Darius Horlin disappeared-"

"So you've arrived."

Isaac jumped. A man in a black robe was behind him.

The aged man gracefully answered his question. "After the Wise Magician left this world, Titan city's development stagnated. However, much later, another revolutioner appeared. It was the Fallen God, the founder of the Democratic Alliance."

The man held a metal staff in his left hand that could retract to pocket-size. He wore black letter gloves and a long black sweater with a hood.

If it weren't for his long grey hair and slightly bent back, one would've thought he was still in his forties.

"Good morning, master. This is Gabriella Rivampe. The one I told you about. She's- Arthea's daughter." Alex paused before pronouncing Arthea Rivampe's name, the previous queen.

Ejiro's master inspected her. "Ah, you are the princess."

"No, I'm the new queen." Gabriella tried to correct him, but her voice was too quiet for him to hear.

Ejiro turned to the two boys. "This is Aaron Amon, the son of Elis and Daniel Amon. And this is Isaac Tremblay, Henri's son."

Seth plunged his staff onto the gravel path and straightened his posture. "It's a pleasure to meet you three. I'm Seth Rayn, a retired magician from the DA."

"Aaron Amon, the one who was to be the heir of the Amon Guild. The last time I met your parents was during the Topaz War." Seth Rayn fixated his gaze on him.

Aaron shivered.

"You knew them?"

"Yes. Elis Leon and Daniel Amon both worked for the Democratic Alliance back in the day. Before becoming Guildmasters.

"Pardon me for saying this, but I guess they didn't take the oath of democracy seriously." The old magician narrowed his eyes.

"Democracy? The Amon Guild performed very well as a monarchy."

"You should let go of your yearning to take back the guild and rule it."

They had a long quiet stare down.

The others chose not to intervene.

Aaron kept his eyes open for several seconds, but then he scowled and looked away, deciding fighting with a retired mage wasn't worth it.

"Believe me. An absolute monarchy is too weak and unpredictable of a system. The fate of such a guild depends entirely on a single bloodline."

Aaron stayed quiet, keeping his disagreement to himself.

Seth Rayn then looked at Isaac. "Isaac Tremblay, son of Henri Tremblay. I also met your parents during the Topaz War. It is a shame Rose's path ended so early before you could meet her."

He placed his hands around the edge of his staff, straightening his posture again.

"There are a few things you should know about the current situation. Your father, just like many of the magicians on the battlefield, has most likely been killed."

Isaac's voice shattered. He gasped, and his eyes widened. What? That's not- He's... dead?"

Author's note: Sorry for the delay. I was very occupied last weekend. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I put a lot of time into writing it. :)