Chapter 101 - The Fifth Layer (10)

The Bone Mother had turned into a violent monster. One of her tails dug into the ground and the other cut the air with a deafening noise.

The first to die were the soldiers caught in the earthquake. The vampires tried flying away, but many failed to escape the storm.

"Retreat! Go back to the gate!" Voices echoed throughout the plains as a million soldiers ran to Torque for shelter.

Many missiles exploded on the Bone Mother, yet a blue translucent layer wrapped around her body blocked all attacks. Two of her heads turned towards the gate accompanied by a furious shriek.

Christopher's werewolves passed by Aaron, Gabriella, Anne and Isaac. The red magician stopped in his tracks. His body levitated high above ground. A grin appeared across one of the Bone Mother's heads.

They made eye contact. The head opened its mouth, widening its smile. It had no teeth, no nose, and a large flat forehead.

"How interesting." The Bone Mother's soft voice reached him.

...

Sophie rose from her seat, fidgeting as she looked at her screen in horror. People gave her a questioning look.

"There's an emergency on the roof as well!" She exclaimed. Their eyes widened.

"What? You found Zephyr?" Stephen asked.

"No, it's much worse! The Topaz Guild's reinforcements have come! They passed on the roof undetected and are above Sanguine City!"

A cold chill spread across the hidden strategy room. The reinforcements they had kept out of the Third Layer thanks to numerous soldiers on the eastern side had suddenly appeared.

Micky coughed. "How did they get all the way here?"

"We have mana sensors and satellites," Scott said, " There's no way we would find out until now."

"That's what I thought too, but someone must have tempered with them. I'm not lying. We have footage of the roof. Look for yourself."

Sophie projected the live footage on the bottom of the room's large screen. It was true. There was an army marching on. There were soldiers in bad clothing and darker outfits, from the Obscure Guild. But the ones who stood out the most were the hundreds of thousands of soldiers in blue, Topaz uniform.

Scott was sweating. "That's not possible... The only ones who can control the satellites are..."

"The Democratic Alliance. There's a traitor." Stephen sighed.

"Can we bomb them?" Scott asked Micky.

"No, it's too late for that. Even if we somehow managed, that would mean killing people below. They're right above Sanguine City."

Hesitating, Sophie proposed, "We should retreat. This will no doubt result in a big loss on our side. Seeing the 'Bone Mother,' I'm not sure we can even win."

Scott frowned. "We can't retreat! That would trap our best mages in Sanguine City."

"Then what do you suppose we do? There are people above and a giant monster below, we're outmatched! The city's done for!" Someone else said.

"They've extended their power further than we imagined," Stephen raised his tone, "But we have to keep cool. Send the soldiers at Torque's gate on the roof, and every mage at Sanguine who's still up should fight the Bone Mother. Meanwhile, we need to figure out a way to kill it."

Micky was perplexed, "Kill that thing? How? Our bombs aren't making a dent in its shield!"

...

"Isaac! What the hell are you doing?!" asked Aaron from below.