Prologue

Today, I took off the necklace he gave me, set it on my dresser, and walked away.

I hadn't heard from him in months. No letters, or packages, or visits like we did at the start. Just nothing.

And after months of not wanting to take it off, I finally did.

After I left the bounty, we kept in close touch through letters and even met up in Ninjago City every once in a while. 

And then it all stopped. The first few letters he didn't respond to I thought it was just because he was on a mission, or he was busy. But when Nya would respond to my letters to her, I got suspicious. I stopped sending letters to him. He continued not sending any to me. So I stopped trying for good. And tried to continue with my life.

But that damn beautiful necklace. Its orange shine was still bright, due to my taking such good care of it. I could never bring myself to actually take it off for good. It was just such a sweet gesture. I could never imagine the Cole that took me out for a day in the city is the same Cole who won't even bother to tell me he's not interested anymore. That just didn't seem like him. 

But people change, and I really didn't know him that well. But it still stung more than I'd like to admit. 

So finally, I convinced myself to take off that damn necklace, and I walked away from it. Like I was walking away from that small part of my life. 

I made this decision on the third day the doctor declared my dad on "bed rest." I'm not sure why, I just decided to take it off that morning after I brought my father a full cup of tea I knew he would only take a few sips out of before letting it get cold. I used to believe he was invincible. This has proved me wrong, something the universe had been doing to me often lately.

I meet an amazing guy that seems like he really cares and is really sweet? Wrong.

At least I'll always have my dad around to help me through things like this? Wrong. 

I'll finally begin making progress with my training? Wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

After going to get the cold cup of tea off my father's nightstand, I took it to the kitchen. He was asleep. I poured out the tea and set the cup in the sink before putting my hands on the sink to lean against it. I found tears pricking my eyes, which I blinked away. All of this was just so unfair. 

I stood leaning against the countertop for what had to be five minutes before I was interrupted. One of our maids approached me.

"Um, Ms. Bhasura? There's someone at the door for you," she said.

"Oh. Who is it?" I asked and wiped my face of any tears that had escaped.

"He didn't say. But he asked for you. Said he was an old friend of yours. I can send him away if you'd like," she offered.

"No, that's quite alright. I'll go talk to them." I made my way over to the large front doors of our house. I couldn't see who it was through the tiny peephole. Odd. I called out to whoever was out there. "Hello?"

"Hey, It's me."