Chapter VIII - On The Run

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean I'm a spoiled rich kid?" Hunter asked. "I'm not."

"You're the Emperor's nephew." I said. "How are you not a rich kid?"

"Don't say it so loud." He said. "Also, I'm not spoiled."

I shrugged. "You're still a rich kid."

He stammered. "Shut up."

I laughed. We kept walking, bickering with eachother like we used to. Eventually we gave up on finding a place to change and used magic to do it.

Our old uniforms were in the paper bag. The bag was on the floor infront of us. We were in an alley. I crouched and cast a spell. The bag lit on fire and burned through the clothes and bag in a little over a minute.

"No more evidence." I said.

"The smoke probably drew attention. We should go." Hunter turned and walked away, pulling the hood of his blue cloak up.

After a moment I followed him. He had been different all day. He'd hidden it well enough at the start, but I could still tell. Something was bothering him, a lot. I hadn't seen him like this before, not even when we failed our mission at Eclipse Lake. Sometimes big happened in Belos's mind.

"Hunter, what happened with the Emperor? What did Belos do to you?"

He stopped, hesitating for a moment. "Not here."

"Stop stalling."

"No, seriously, not here. This... if the wrong people hear us... we're in danger, Y/n."

He dropped his voice low, looking around like he expected an attack at any moment. He was so serious it made me nervous. I started glancing around myself.

Hunter held out his hand. Flapjack flew into it and turned into a staff. He sat down and leveated a foot off the ground or so. I got on behind him and he flew us away.

He took us to the hills on the edge of the Isles, overlooking the Boiling Sea. We sat on the grass beside eachother as Flapjack pecked about the grass.

"This is nice." I said flatly. "Almost like a date."

Hunter blushed. "Why would you say that?"

"Lighten the mood so you'll talk to me."

He sighed. "Yesterday, in the Emperor's mindscape, I found out a lot of things."

"Such as?" I waved my hand, gesturing him to continue.

He hesitated for a moment. Then he told me. He told me it all. I listened, stunned, as he let it all pour out.

"Mother of Titan." I said when he wad done. "So, Belos... and you... the..." I scoffed and almost laughed. "Our whole lives were lies."

"Basically." He said sadly, resting his chin on his knees.

"So, Belos is evil and he tried to kill you yesterday?" I asked. Hunter nodded. "Because you found out that the Day of Unity is actually a plot to kill us all with a Draining Spell?" He nodded. "And used to be a human witch hunter?" He nodded. "And... Belos killed all the other Golden Gaurds?" He nodded, tears in his eyes. He wiped them away. "And now he's trying to kill you."

"Yep." Hunter nodded.

I shuffled over and put an arm around his shoulders. I pulled him into a one-armed hug, resting my head on top of his. Flapjack pecked affectionately at his boots.

"It'll be okay. It's my job to keep you safe, after all."

"You know we don't have jobs anymore, right?" Hunter said. He pulled away and sat up.

"I'm not talking about a payroll anymore, Hunter. Regrettably, I've grown to care for you. So from now I will be watching you like a hawk."

I leaned my face closer to his, too close, I knew. Hunter backed away slightly, blushing hard. I smirked.

"So no one will ever touch one of your cute hairs again." I flicked his hair strand and leaned away.

"Okay?" I said innocently.

Hunter stammered, still bright red. I laughed.

"Understood." He managed, smiling in spite of himself.

"Good." I stood. In the end, Hunter had talked for almost an hour. We were both hungry and in need of a distraction. I offered him a hand. "Let's get something to eat."

He nodded and took it. "Okay."

I pulled him to his feet. Hunter whistled. "Flapjack, c'mon."

Flapjack chirped and flew over. He turned into a staff. Hunter grabbed him and we got on. On the way back over to Bonesburrow I popped the question of where we gonna sleep.

"I was thinking Hexside," Hunter suggested.

"Hexside? Oh, let me guess, you just wanna see Willow again? Maybe play a quick game of Flyer Derby?"

"What? No. It's a good, safe place where we can lay low." 

I nodded. "Okay. What do you think, Captain? Captain? Captain Willow, are you there? I'm your biggest fan!"

Hunter elbowed me. "What are you talking about?"

"I've seen your Penstagram. You and her  talk all the time."

"Are... are you jealous?" He asked.

"No!" I blushed slightly. "No. I'm just saying you have. Don't deny it."

"I'm not." Hunter said.

"Good." I said, looking at the sky around us. Steve's question played over in my mind. Did I like Hunter? No. The answer was still no. I think.

We had to steal lunch, because I didn't have enough to get us both enough. We snatched some food off a stall and ate as we talked and walked through the street, distracting ourselves from everything we should have been talking about:

How the Emperor tried to kill his own nephew; how he had killed fifty years worth of Golden Gaurds, maybe more; how we were literally on the run from the Emperor's Coven; how the Emperor would kill us both when he found us;  how our whole lives had fallen apart in one night; how we had nothing but eachother; how I was kinda jealous when we brought up Willow; how I almost wanted to kiss Hunter back on at the hill.

《- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -》

The good news is, no more writers block. Yay!

The bad news is this chapter was shitty and short. A lot of this book seems to be shitty and short. Oh well, people are reading it so I must be doing something right.

So anyway, is that a crush forming I see? I think it is. Yay! Romance!

ALSO, at the time I'm writing this, this story is NUMBER ONE on theowlhousehunter tag. Omg. Thank you guys so much. That means so much to me fr

Anyway be gay, do crime, crush on Hunter and have a nice day (;