"You might not want me to get involved, but I have to help. It'll only get worse. Demons will get sick of it and a war will break out."

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that." Ezra checked his watch. "I have to go now."

"Oh um, do you have a phone or something, so I can tell you about how it goes with the angel?"

"No."

"Will you be in the pub later?"

"No."

"Well . . . can I summon you?"

"No."

Tom smiled. "I guess you'll just visit when you're ready then?"

"Yes." Ezra tucked the book inside his jacket and gave Tom a little nod before disappearing.

Tom ran back down the hill, greeting tourists who were walking up in boots, full waterproofs, rucksacks, and walking poles. They were most likely aiming for the bigger hills in the distance, otherwise they were highly overprepared compared to Tom in his running shoes, shorts and a thin waterproof jacket.

Tom stopped running when he entered the village, so he could catch his breath before reaching the library. He passed a tree-stump outside a cake shop and wondered if that was the one planted as a tribute. He wondered why he hadn't heard about Kreenar's story before, but so many demons had been killed in the past couple of decades for people to remember all of them.

The librarian, Haisley, was sitting behind the counter with a book to her nose and a half-eaten apple floating near her lips. "Hey," Tom said, leaning on the desk with a smile.

"Tom! What a lovely surprise. Don't tell me you've finished the book already?"

"No, not yet." Tom rubbed his ring finger. "Can you point me in the direction of any crime books? Specifically in this area?"

Haisley made a face, one of perplexed surprise. "Why?"

"Just keeping my options open. Maybe one day I'll make a great detective."

"Ah," she hopped up with a determined grin. He followed her to the back of the library, and she showed him the thickest book they had, because crime in their county was somehow unusually frequent.

Ezra's going to be pleased with this, Tom thought, reading the title: Demon Crimes in Wileshire County. It dated all the way back to the early nineteenth century and stopped at the turn of the new century. When Tom snapped it shut, dust blew out into his face. He wondered if the book had been sitting on the shelf since the year two thousand.

He slotted it under his arm and scanned some of the other books, until he spotted an angel between a gap on the shelf. Tom wasted no time and hurried over. This angel was maybe the same age as him, with short brown hair that sculpted around her soft jaw. She smiled up at him when he approached her, and Tom felt himself relaxing. An angel's presence was like a meaningful hug, a warm meal on a cold night, or a comfy bed after a long day.

"Hello," he said, knowing she was much older than the very old book under his arm. "If you're not busy, can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, ask away." She motioned for Tom to sit with her at the table. "I'm just writing down plans for our choir practice tonight."

"Are you practicing for the town fair?"

"Yes. We're all very excited." She smiled, and her eyes gleamed.

Tom had to hold onto his thoughts to not melt into his seat. She was beautiful, but her eyes were not as emotional as Ezra's. His stomach didn't flip when her gaze anchored onto him. "Um, so I was just wondering if you've noticed a rise in violence recently? My parents own the Glass Horns pub, and there's fights between humans and demons more than once a week now. People used to be so accepting of demons."

"Yes," she said, her sweet voice lowering. "All angels have noticed the rise in violence."

"Is there a reason for it?"

"We believe that demons are struggling to hold their composure like they used to," she said, her expression turning sad.

"Humans, in my opinion, have become more provocative, though. I was just wondering why the angel's influence is no longer as strong."

Angels were wise and old and authoritative. Humans often stumbled over themselves to please them. Tom was doing his best not to fall into her loving presence and thank her for simply existing. Their world would be a much darker place without them. "Perhaps there are more demons in the area. Oh sweetheart, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with the violence. Is your nose hurting? It does look sore. I will talk to my superiors and ask what can be done to ease your stress."

"But do you know why there's a rise in violence?"

"I don't, I'm afraid." She leaned forwards, lightly touching the back of his hand. "It has been troubling us too, don't worry young child. We will help you and your town."

"Okay, well can you visit our pub more often? We need your influence a bit more," Tom said with a smile.

"Of course, we will be happy to help."

Tom left the library with a smile, satisfied and wondering why he hadn't asked the angels for help sooner. Though, they were busy and often in and out of the village on duties, so he hoped that the plea for help wouldn't be forgotten. He ran home, and Cal was no longer sprawled on the floor. Instead, Tom found him in his bed, sprawled above the duvet with his head hanging over the edge.

"Not able to make it home?" Tom asked, putting the big old book on his desk.

Cal groaned, rolling over onto his back. "Where have you been?"

"Library."

Cal looked up with a weak smile. "How did your drinks go with Ez yesterday?"

"Like I said, they were friendly drinks Cal."

"I know, I know," he said with a sigh. "But it's nice to see you getting on with your life again."

Tom flopped on the bed beside him. "He's a demon, it would never work."

"Yeah, I would worry about you constantly." Cal rolled over again and rested his head on Tom's shoulder.

Tom wrapped an arm around him, closing his eyes and seeing only Ezra's large brown gaze, golden in the morning sun. "He is insanely good looking though."

Cal grinned. "Apart from the slow ageing, the anger issues, the bluntness, and his cagey attitude, he seems alright."

"It would never work."

"I mean . . . I guess you never know."

"It wouldn't. I think he would make a good friend though."

"Friend."

"Cal, shut up and go to sleep." When Cal closed his eyes, Tom stared at his ceiling with a small smile, thankful to have spoken with Ezra that morning, so they could clear up any tension between them. He was glad to have found a new book for him too and was looking forwards to their next spontaneous meeting.