Ten | "The perfect balance."

Start from the beginning

She simply wasn't ready yet.

Tracing her index finger over the phone, Liza marveled at how sleek and shiny it looked. Her original phone hadn't made it through the crash, and this one had been a gift from her mother, who had handed it to her, kissed her head, and murmured, "please don't shut me out, sweetie."

And then Liza had done exactly that.

"I'm a shit daughter," she told Milo.

Milo tilted his head, curious about her words, and the action managed to win a tiny grin from Liza.

"Think she'll ever talk to me again?" It was a silly question, she knew. Her mother was one of the kindest women Liza had ever met; she would never hold a grudge against her daughter.

Still, that didn't stop the disappointment from creeping through every one of Liza's blood vessels.

Her mother had been so patient with her after the crash. So worried and attentive, and how had Liza paid her back? She'd tucked herself inside a shell of safety, unable to trust anyone but herself.

Milo's furry head settled on her knee, and her shoulders relaxed as she began to pet him with one hand.

She had to remind herself that her circle of safety was growing. Dr. Whitney was helping her, and she was able to talk to Elijah and go for walks nearly once a week, so long as there was no risk of Elijah or anyone else spotting her.

She was indeed making progress; it was just so damn slow.

Blowing out a sigh, Liza dropped the phone on the side table next to the couch and then twisted around until she was facing the closed curtains that looked out over the street.

With two timid fingers, she pulled back and peered upon the massive, daunting world that threatened her own.

The street was surprisingly quiet for such a sunny day. Then again, it was probably a weekday, so most people were at work while their kids were in school.

Or so Liza assumed, anyway.

Still, the weather was nice, and Elijah had said he wouldn't be stopping by until—

Her mind stalled abruptly when a car turned onto the street and began its descent down the road. It was a sedan, sleek and a dark navy color that glittered in the sunlight. Liza kept the curtain open, watching curiously as it slowed when it neared her house.

Perhaps it was the elderly couple? She thought they drove an old, rickety truck of some kind, but she also hadn't paid much attention. For one, she didn't look out the window too often, and, for another, she was normally too distracted by her panic to pay attention.

The car passed the condo just before hers and slowed further.

Liza pulled away from the window slightly, still interested but more wary than anything. She wasn't scheduled to receive her weekly groceries yet, nor her medicine, so why was the car . . .?

Pulling into her driveway?!

She was too horrified to move, her wide eyes frozen on the car as it slowed to a stop in front of the garage she had never opened.

Oh, God.

Oh, oh, God.

The engine wasn't audible from inside the house, but she knew the car had been turned off when the driver's door opened. Her heart was pounding such a frantic rhythm in her chest that it was difficult to breathe, but she stopped breathing altogether when she saw who climbed out of the sedan.

Her eyes flew to the clock on the wall, widening when she registered the time.

It was ten in the morning.