𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓉𝒽

Start from the beginning

Coming to terms with his limitations once again, he sits. If he said he hasn't grown to resent Ymir since his arrival many eons ago, he'd be lying. She's a code thats impossible to crack. He's tried everything within his power.

"Are you ready to give up?"

"Never," Eren says, but he frowns, at the end of his wits. "Let me talk to her."

"Why should I do that? Last time she came here without my summoning. You thought about her constantly, so yearningly, that you brought her here. Simply through the willpower of your thoughts. You defied me."

He clenches his jaw, recalling the satisfaction of that single victory. It was small, but it gave him hope. "I overpowered you somehow."

"Defiance. So why should I reward you after pulling a stunt like that?"

He thinks for a moment. "Because..." He swallows hard, "Because if you do, I'll accept her destiny. I'll let her go. I'll let you have your way."

Ymir's indiscernible expression, as expected, does not change. "You lie, Eren."

"Please!" He begs in frustration, "Just let me talk to her. You know I'll never win, so whats the difference? Please."

She is silent. Thinking.

Eren waits, seeking reason. "Doesn't she at least deserve to know? The reason behind everything that happened?"

Ymir does not reply right away, but she turns up to the Paths again, observing its patterns... observing through a different lens this time.

"This lifetime marks one million lifetimes that you've re-lived. Did you know that?" She says.

Eren tries to process this. He really has been here forever.

"All of them different timelines, with a few changes here and there, but always with the same end result. Do you enjoy seeing her suffer?"

"Of course not!" He snaps at her.

"Then why do you insist? If you know she will always die?"

"I'm hoping something... different will happen. Be honest, am I problem? Is it me? Every lifetime I lived loving her she always died in the end, so this last one, I tried to leave her, I broke her heart, and she still died! Be honest, Ymir, there has to be a solution here! Tell me what it is!" He pleads with her.

She is quiet for longer now. After one more look up at the Paths, and a few intervals of contemplation, she finally stands.

"Perhaps a chat with her will finally make you realize the situation is hopeless."

╳ ╳ ╳

At the fringe of endings, there are beginnings.

Darkness. Followed by light. Light followed by colors, shapes, voices, and everything blurs into nothing once again. The cycle continues. It repeats over. And over. And...

.

.

.

.

Waves. Ocean. Cerulean blue.

Suddenly,

one breath.

I sit up with a gasp, my lungs expanding as I try desperately getting used to this sensation again.

I am a shell. And with every breath I feel myself become whole. I am not only alive and sentient. I am not only ribs and flesh once more. Right now,

I am.