✹forty two✹

╣now i can make you a warrior╠

"It's a two hour ride from here." Callan had said as they watched the sun set over the ocean. In the dim light, there was no telling where the waters ended and the sky began. Behind them, in the distance, Yunkai lit braziers on the city walls. "There are slaves."

Rhena hummed in recognition. "There are slaves in most places in the east. An illness I would like to cure the world of."

"Are you a maester now?" The man teased, shoving her arm with a smile.

Rhena pushed back and laughed. "Wouldn't that be a sight?" She laughed. "I could set a new precedent."

"The Maester Queen Rhena." Callan announced. "You know it does have a ring to it, but you look far better in red than gray."

Rhena scoffed. "Please, I look good in any color."

"I don't like that Daario character." Callan liked to pretend to not be jealous. He would clench his jaw and his palm would work little circles over the pommel of his sword. It was quite comical to watch from Rhena's point of view.

"And why is that?" Rhena asked, already knowing her response.

Callan thought for a moment before opening his mouth. "He's far too sure of his skills."

"And what if his skills are adequate?"

"No one can be that good."

Rhena felt like a jest so continued her teasing. "What of the faceless men?"

"He's not a faceless man, that's for damn sure."

"Then what is he?"

Callan's eyes softened as he looked her way. "A man who's in love with you."

"And what would you have me do with that?" Rhena asked. "Trick him to gain his army, lour him in for his power?"

Callan tipped his head side to side, weighing each option. "I suppose that could work."

Rhena slapped him quickly on the arm, face pulled down in a mock frown. "Callan Altair." They both dissolved into a fit of giggles and snorts. The sun had set just below the horizon and Rhena pulled her cloak around her. "I do not wish to deceive him."

"But deceived he must be." The air had sobered and Callan rested a hand on Rhena's shoulder. "I know that Ned has spoken to you of marriages, let me finish." He requested when her mouth opened in protest. "I love you, I do Rhena Starborn. I will be whatever you deem my purpose. If you would take me, I'd be yours."

He could see the rejection, it was faint, but it started in her eyes. "But things did not exactly go well for us when we tried that." Rhena's heart jumped at the thought of the son or daughter who never was. "I know Ned has been thinking of it, but has not the heart to tell you after such a loss."