After billy the kid

Start from the beginning

"Polly, there's a thoroughbred quarter Arab filly up for auction at the Doncaster Blood Stock" Tommy drawled out, he had already made up his mind, he was getting that horse.

"What do we want with a thousand guinea horse? Does Aurora know about this mad idea?" 

 "When we make our move on Sabini's racing pitches, any men we get in the betting enclosure will be lifted by Sabini's police. A good racehorse is a passport to the owners enclosure. Aurora is informed and is behind the idea if it will further on our business" 

"We'll be in there will all the toffs, the coppers won't know where to look" Arthur said showing his support for his younger brother, the leader in their household.

"The Epsom Derby Pol, we'll be drinking with the bloody king!" John cheered with a wide smile, unknowingly he had once again stuck his foot in his mouth.

"The Derby?! did he say the Derby?" Polly questioned in disbelief.

Tommy sent John a look of frustration at his little slip up, it was becoming a common occurrence among his brothers to let information slip out to the wrong people. Tommy could only confidently reveal his thoughts and secrets to his wife, Aurora. He knew she would take them to her grave.

"That's right, for the last ten years Sabini's made it his race. If we're going to take him down, might as well make it a symbol"

"Did you come up with this in the pub!? You can't tell me that Aurora would let you spend a thousand guineas on a horse Tommy?"

Arthur laughed at his aunt's comment, a thousand guinea's was back pocket change to the Shelby woman. She had several businesses and properties around the world making her money as she slept. The only reason Tommy was using the business money was because it was an investment to their company.

"Pol, a good racehorse is an investment, like property. We need to diversify the portfolio..."

"So when is this sale?"

"Tomorrow"

"Tommy's had a death threat so we'll have to go with him for protection" Arthur informed his aunt, unaware that a third party was listening behind the semi-closed door.

"So, you're going to close up the shop, go out on a piss up, and blow a thousand guineas on a horse that's not even whole Arab" Polly ranted her tone silent but deadly.

"Quarter Arab is better" Curly giggled childishly, Quarter Arab it means...."

"Curly, shut up" Pol snapped not in the mood for his childish excitement.

 Tommy eyed her in warning, Aurora would not stand for someone being rude to Curly, no matter who it was. Aurora always had a soft spot in her heart for Curly, she often spoiled him with home cooked treats and freshly tailored suits. He had a room in their house if he ever wanted to visit or mind the horses, Aurora tended to spoil him with love and kindness.

 Tommy didn't try to stop her, he knew Curly deserved to have a good life after everything he suffered through. The war affected him in ways that his brain couldn't handle and so it reverted him back to happier times, his childhood.

A creak of the door snapped Polly's attention to her son who cautiously edged himself in through the doorway. Tommy had known Micheal was listening the minute he heard the lock turn in the door. But he decided to remain silent, Micheal would have to know about the family business eventually. 

"I though I told you to lock that door"Polly scolded turning to look at a guilty John. No one wanted to get on Polly's bad side, bar Tommy who didn't care if she was happy with him or not. All Tommy had to do was get Aurora to show up with the kids and Polly heart would melt enabling forgiveness.