1919

Season 1 episode 1

***

Tommy entered the church door with a resounding bang, he never thought he would have to set foot in this place again. Taking a seat he sighed in annoyance.

"Right, I have ten minutes. What do you want?"

"An explanation. I've always been able to tell when you're hiding something. You think I didn't notice Aurora squirm in discomfort when I asked you if you had anything more to say?" she huffed out a breathe, "People round here talk. Some of them work in the BSA. I've been talking to the wives of factory hands. Detectives have been asking questions in the proofing shops" she stated leaning back to see his face. 

"Nothing happens in that factory without you knowing about it. Speak. God and Aunt Polly are listening" she commands, leaving no room for argument.

"It was meant to be routine... I had a buyer in London for some motorcycles. I asked my men to steal me four bikes with petrol engines. I'm guessing my men were drunk. There's a still inside the factory makes tram line gin. They picked up the wrong fucking crate" he sighed, rubbing his eyes in annoyance.

"The boys dropped it to Charlie Strong's yard as agreed. They must've taken it from the proofing bay instead of the export bay. Inside we found 25 Lewis machine guns, 10,000 rounds of ammunition, 50 semi-automatic rifles, 200 pistols with shells" he whispered. 

"Jesus Tommy" Pol warned.

"All bound for Lybia. Sitting right there all in Charlie Strong's yard" he explained, waiting patiently for her response.

"Tell me you threw them in the cut!" she demanded in worry.

"We put them in the stables out of the rain. The guns hadn't been greased yet."

Turning around she slapped him like a child, "So that's why they sent a copper from Belfast?! Have you let Aurora know of this!" 

"She knows about the guns...I don't want her involved stress isn't good for the babies" Tommy said quietly a warning in his tone.

"Thomas you're a bookmaker, a robber, a fighting man, husband and soon to be father, your not a fool. You sell those guns to anyone who has use for them, you will hang. Think about Aurora! will you really let her raise she kids on her own!" she demanded sternly, watching as his face remained passive.

"Dump them somewhere the police can find them. Maybe if they know they haven't fallen into the wrong hands this might blow over. Tell Charlie to dump them tonight" she instructed quietly, cautious of any ease droppers.

"No! He won't move contraband under a full moon. Three days until it wanes"

"Then you'll do the right thing?" he nodded slightly in agreement.

"You have your mothers common sense but your fathers devilment. I see them fighting. Let your mother win for once" 

*

"Finn?! Where's my little birthday boy?" Aurora called excitedly through the Shelby house. The sound of stomping feet echoed from upstairs, in no time the little boy came skidding into the kitchen his friend Isiah right behind him.

"Aurora! It's my birthday" Finn shouted enthusiastically, acting like the child he should be. "I know! " she squealed in equal excitement. Bringing the boy into a hug wasn't as awkward as one might think as counter to Aurora's belief her belly wasn't too big.

"And hello Isiah!" she greeted the slightly older boy ho stared in awe at Aurora's beauty. "Now I brought some treats would you boys like some?"she grinned already handing out the sweets. The boys yelled in excitement, French delicacies were only for special occasions as Aurora was nearly busier than Tommy before she fell pregnant.