Chapter 19: Danger

Start from the beginning

His eyes were already falling shut. "Night, Detective."

Chloe checked on him twice during the night but he was sleeping peacefully. She couldn't seem to stop herself from watching him for a few moments. He was sprawled on his back across the bed his short hair somehow mussed and slightly curled. She watched his chest rise and fall and a wave of warmth spread through her. It unnerved her that he could die whenever he was with her, She couldn't live with that. A pit of fear curled in her stomach -- he was in her thoughts continuously. She realized she was thinking far more about Lucifer than of her husband. Was she falling in love with the devil? She backed away from the bed. It took her a few hours to fall back asleep.

Chloe woke up to the sounds of whispering coming from the kitchen. It took her a moment to remember what had happened the previous night. So the whispering must be Lucifer and Trixie. She grinned she better get up and rescue the devil from her daughter's over-exuberant adoration.

The whispering came closer as she opened her eyes to see Lucifer carrying a tray and Trixie a little bouquet of Lucifer Crocosmia blooms, both were smiling. She noted Lucifer was fully dressed while Trixie was still in pajamas.

"Breakfast in bed, Detective. You didn't tell me you grew flowers named after me," he gloated.

"I planted those long before I met you."

"Mmm must have been a case of serendipity." He smirked. He set the tray down in front of her as Trixie added the small vase to the corner of the tray.

"Lucifer made you breakfast so I told him all of your favorite things," she buzzed excitedly.

"Thank you it smells so good. You two should eat as well."

"We already did. Lucifer made me blueberry pancakes. They were even better than yours." Trixie bounced on the bed.

Lucifer sat on the corner of the bed looking smug and pleased with himself.

She looked over the tray, the French toast, omelet, freshly squeezed orange juice, and strong coffee.

"I'm famished. Thank you both."

"Lucifer did all the work," Trixie admitted."

"But your offspring provided the entertainment. I heard all about the incident with the turkey last Thanksgiving -- a little well done was it?" His eyes were open wide and innocent but a devilish smile played on his lips.

"It only happened once and it was still edible - just a little bit dry," Chloe admitted.

Trixie chirped up. "Remember when you burned the oatmeal and had to throw away the pan? There was so much smoke the fire alarm went off -- it was so loud." She giggled.

"Okay monkey, I'm sure Lucifer doesn't want to hear about all of my kitchen mishaps," she shushed Trixie.

"Oh contraire Detective, you are always so fastidious, it's been downright refreshing hearing about all your foibles." He grinned like a cat that had swallowed a canary.

"How are you feeling?" she asked noting he didn't look flushed.

"Right as rain, except for my arm -- it keeps throbbing and not in a good way." He gingerly touched it.

"We should probably put a sling around it. I want you to stay home today and rest."

Trixie cut her off. "YAY!"

"I mean Lucifer's home," Chloe clarified.

"Oh," they responded in disappointed harmony as both of their faces fell.

"But I want to go on our next case unless, of course, it's boring," Lucifer whined.

"I want to play with Lucifer all day," Trixie whined.