chapter 12

Araluna (Melina)

It was around two P.M when we reached the bridge. The bridge keeper was already waiting for us. He bowed slightly to me and looked at the people behind me.

“I am happy to see you return princess. May you find the power needed to succeed,” he said before stepping aside to let me pass. He followed me to the other side. At the end of the bridge I stopped. I looked at the dead land in front of me. Doubt began to fill me when Lancelot put his hand on my shoulder and gave me an encouraging smile.

I took a deep breath and stepped off the bridge. The knights followed. Things began to move. Enormous insects crawled from the earth. They were huge, with sharp teeth or claws. They slowly moved closer to us. I looked behind me. All the knights had pulled their swords. They were ready to fight. I pulled my sword as well even though I could feel my magic search through my body.

The monsters formed a giant mass in front of us. My heart raced in my chest as the first monster reached me. It was like a giant beetle with a snake's tail. It slithered over to me and lashed out with its teeth. I dodged the attack and swung my sword to his legs. I cut one of them off. The monster  was slightly unbalanced for a moment but other than that he didn’t seem to mind.

He attacked again, this time almost hitting me. I barely managed to escape the sharp claw that was attached to his leg. I rolled to the side and got up right after to trust my sword into his belly. The monster screeched and fell to the ground. It was dead. Its body seemed to seep into the ground like water. I looked around and chose my next target. I believe I was getting the hang of it because I was killing monsters left and right. I looked around. Everyone was still standing, for now. There were so many monsters. Again I pierced my sword through a monster. Bit by bit we got closer to the castle but it seemed to still be miles away. Maybe I should try something else. I raised my hand and sent a big flame towards the monsters. It burned at least four of them. This had to be the quicker way so I put away my sword and used both hands.

Flames circled around me, scorching the monsters down to ash. I focused on protecting my friends. The knights seemed to be holding their ground so I kept the monsters away from the group of farmers and other people who weren't trained to fight. Again we got closer to the castle, but the amount of monsters that kept attacking was enormous. They kept appearing as if there were millions of them.

More flames danced around me and at some point they seemed to burn a hole in the enemy lines. I looked through the opening. I could see the gate of the castle. I started walking towards the gate but stopped when a dark figure walked out of the shadows. I felt the magic that came off of him. Powerful and strong like the wind when it storms. Cold shivers ran down my spine as I looked at the man.

“Turn around and your lives will be spared,” the man said. His voice was loud and powerful. I looked behind me. The monsters had stopped attacking and I had a clear view of all my friends and subjects. It felt weird calling them subjects but it was the reality. I looked at them. The determination on their faces surprised me. They want their home back and I can give it to them.

“What is it to you?” I asked the man, not knowing if he would answer. He didn’t say anything. I shrugged. I wasn’t going to let this guy keep me from giving these people a home. I walked to the man, ignoring my heart pounding in my chest. I tried to hide the fear behind a stone mask.

“This is my realm. You will not claim it!” the man shouted. I ignored him. I shut out all the noises and focused on my goal. I was going to get to the castle and if this man wanted to stop me he would find out how hard it was to keep me away very soon.

“Get out of my way!” I hoped my voice wouldn't tremble when I said it. The man laughed at me and raised his hand. Sharp spikes flew through the air, right at my chest. My instincts kicked in and my hand came up in a reflex. An invisible shield appeared in front of me. The spikes hit the surface and fell apart in small pieces.

Shock was visible in the eyes of the man but he wiped it off his face quick after. Didn’t expect that, did you asshole. I smiled wryly. Again he sent spikes flying through the air. This time I changed their course and sent them to the monsters that had started attacking my friends again. Six of them fell to the ground and disappeared. Now the man was angry and he wasn’t doing anything to hide it. Wave after wave of spikes he sent to me. I either blocked them with a shield or sent them flying the other way. Another ten monsters had died and my patience was running out. It was slowly replaced by anger and irritation. I dropped the shield and sent a big wave of flames in his direction. Very creative Luna. You know there are different things you can do right? Truth be told I just liked the way the flames danced around at my command. This time it was his turn to shield himself from my attack. The flames bounced off of his shield and slid to the sides. I pushed harder and more flames lit up the air around us. It was beginning to get hot but it didn’t bother me. If I was hot, so was he and he deserved that. I used my left hand to keep the flames flying towards him while I used my right hand to send big stones his way. They kept hitting his shield but I could see how he had to take a step back every now and then. I kept going, only one thought in my mind. I am going to give these people a home. Then I heard it. A soft crackling sound and again and again. After that a scream filled the air. The shield had shattered and the flames surrounded him. Burning his flesh down to the bone. I stopped. In front of me stood the man. His skin burned to black and spots of red flesh. He disappeared.

After that it didn’t take us long to defeat all the monsters. They disappeared as well and all that was left was the bodies of a few humans and a spot of green grass where the fight had been. I looked at it in shock and amazement. The green grass was in contrast with the brown and grey ground around it. A few flowers were spread out over the field. It can be restored. I smiled as I looked around to look at all the people who had survived the fight. Then the smile disappeared in the blink of an eye. Merlin and Arthur were kneeling on the ground next to someone dressed in armour and a red cape. I walked closer to see who it was. I saw his face and lost the ability to breathe.

Lancelot!