I nodded. "Tryouts are tomorrow, right?" I asked and glanced at him from the corner of my eye.

Bryson nodded and stayed silent.

"And they are after school?"

Again, he nodded. "Will you need a lift then?" he asked. "It'll probably be later than normal because of introductions and all of that jazz."

I shook my head, no. "If it gets too late, then one of my parents will probably pick me up so that I am not late for training. However, that doesn't start until eight in the evening, so I think I'll be able to make it home, eat, get changed, and then go."

"Training?" Bryson asked, and I nodded. "For what?"

"For fighting," I replied. "My parents finally found me a gym so that I can practice my skills, and I won't have to do it alone any longer." I stuffed my hands into my pockets and shrugged. "Funny thing is, Charlie is in the group too. I swear that he is following me." I wrinkled my nose in disgust, and Bryson chuckled.

"Have you thought that maybe you are following him?" Bryson asked and raised an eyebrow.

I snorted and rolled my eyes. "That's the same thing that my father said to me," I grumbled, and he grinned and shrugged. I sighed and shook my head. "No, I don't think that I am following him. If I were, then he'd be there first."

"Well..." He trailed off and grinned, and I knew what he was thinking.

"Where is your damn ride?" I asked in a mock gruff tone, and my lip went up into a small smile. "Isn't he supposed to be here?"

Bryson smiled and nodded towards the road about when a car pulled up, this one different from his usual ride. "My uncle is picking me up today," he said just as a window rolled down and a male stuck his head out of the car.

The male looked at me, and his eyes grew wide when he caught my gaze. A look of sadness and longing appeared on his face, but that quickly changed when he looked at Bryson. "Oh, Brycie," he called out in a singsong voice, and Bryson bit back a small groan. "Let's go, Sweetie. You're daddy's waiting for you at home."

I bit my lip to keep myself from smiling, amused at his uncle's behavior but wasn't surprised.

Bryson rolled his eyes and scowled. "Out of all the people he could send," he said under his breath, "I am stuck with him."

"Hey! Watch your tone, Young Man!" his uncle scolded, and I was a little surprised that he heard him. "Everyone else was busy, and I just so happened to be free and wanted to come to pick you up with my husband."

Bryson rolled his eyes and scowled, and I had a feeling that he knew that his uncle was lying. "What is the real reason, Uncle Julian?" he asked. "What did you do?"

Julian... Brother... Prince... Protect.

These words were whispered in my mind, and I had to make sure that I kept my face blank while I looked at them.

Julian shrugged and wrinkled his nose. "Well, your Uncle Parker was going to come to get you, but he can't find his keys..." He grinned.

Bryson narrowed his eyes teasingly and looked amused. "What about Uncle Joel's keys?" he asked.

Julian shrugged. "They're in a tree somewhere," he replied. "Your cousin, TJ's, keys are stuck in a toilet. He and his wife are annoyed with me." He bit back a snort. "Well, they are more mad at me than anything, but it's the same thing with them." He winked teasingly.

Bryson sighed and shook his head while he moved a hand across his face as if to say, "what am I going to do with you?" "Do your kids know that you are here?" he asked instead.