Chapter 17: Confessions

Start bij het begin

His eyes narrowed to slits as he came to his feet. "Do not disrespect me!" He leaned over her, eyes flashing with hellfire again as the heat of rage simmered.

"Then earn my respect," Maze challenged. "You are the Lord of Hell. Channel that anger over being banished to hell once again and eliminate the threat!"

"Enough!" Amenadiel angrily pushed between them. "We don't know how much of a threat she currently is -- we are assuming the worst. What if what she wrote is true? What if she wants to start over just like you did when you came to LA? She's our mother, can't we at least give her a chance?"

"She lost the right for a chance a long time ago," Lucifer declared gripping the edge of the bar, his knuckles turning white.

"I want to give her a chance but..."

"What?" Lucifer asked exasperated.

Amenadiel looked conflicted. "You are traumatized by something that happened which leads me to believe a certain rumor from long ago may have been true but in reverse." Amenadiel's brown eyes were huge with worry as he regarded his brother.

Maze looked between them> "What? What rumor? Will one of you just spit it out?"

The angel shook his head. "If Lucifer wants to tell us he will." He stepped closer to his brother with the understanding dawning. "Okay." He nodded. "Maybe it's far past time for second chances. Let's find her and bring her back to where she belongs."

Lucifer looked at him warily. "So you won't insist on giving her another chance?"

Amenadiel shook his head. "Not unless you do. The decision is yours." He put his hand on his shoulder showing him support.

Lucifer visibly relaxed.

Maze frowned. She knew something horrific had happened. She knew about the murdered children but she could see something in both brothers' eyes that scared them beyond that. Amenadiel never talked about losing his mother but she could see that he felt drawn to her. Lucifer was quite the opposite. He didn't seem the least bit interested in giving his mom a second chance. She had done something to him that destroyed his trust and Lucifer did not forgive easily - if ever. maze had a horrible feeling about what it may have been but she rationalized it was his mother; she couldn't have -- could she?

Fed up with the concerned glances from his brother and his demon; Lucifer left the penthouse and went down to Lux. As he went down the stairs he froze for the second time that day. His mother, clad in a skimpy red dress that cover a still remarkably young-looking body, was sitting at the piano playing a lively tune. Men young and old appeared bewitched and were gathered around her vying for attention. She suddenly spotted him and smiled. "My son, come and join me."

He took a cleansing breath. Maybe he needed to play along to get answers. It wasn't like he could use his hellfire now not without Amenadiel slowing down time. He walked over and she beamed at him scooting down to make room. They played an old song she had taught him; one human ear had never heard. Memories flooded over him as he remembered how happy he had been, the monotony of heaven broken by moments like this. They played well together - they always had. The audience around them clapped and asked for more. Lucifer looked into his mum's sparkling brown eyes and loving smile and let himself sink into the moment. They launched into another song. While playing he looked up at the startled faces of Amenadiel and Maze. Seeing them snapped him back to reality and when they finished the song he got up and excused himself unwilling to meet her eyes again. He felt overwhelmingly vulnerable in her presence.

Maze hissed at him, "What was that about?"

Amenadiel just stared transfixed at his mom. He glanced at Lucifer curiously and then headed down the stairs and over to her. Maze tried to grab his arm but he brushed her off.