what kind of music do elves listen to? wrap get it cuz gift wrap i'm so funny

oneshot inspired by gnomeo and juliet
secret santa gift for jeonghanico and immy <3

___

"it's not healthy for him to be alone right now, especially considering you know... everything's that's happened." soonyoung mumbled as he tried to listen through the white wooden door that separated him from his best friend.

what once seemed like a calming room now radiated with a daunting energy that just unsettled all those who came near the blank door. even the surface of the door seemed icy cold to the touch whereas it once was warm and inviting.

soonyoung tried for the doorknob again, ignoring the sting of its cold metallic exterior against his right hand. nothing. it was still locked, not that soonyoung was surprised. it had been a few days since the door's owner was last receptive to visitors. even then soonyoung was worried.

"he's going to be okay," jihoon looked down at soonyoung from where he stood, watching as the blonde pressed his back against the white door with a deadly visible frown plastered across his face, "he always is."

"yeah he is." that was a lie. soonyoung slowly slid downwards along the door until he was sitting at its foot. the tray of food he had left aside earlier that day shuffled leftwards as he bumped the side of his thigh into it.

soonyoung knew better; this was only the beginning. wonwoo always seemed okay, but really he was always just struggling to hang on. they all were; it's just that it was more apparent to them all now more than ever. wonwoo more than anyone, now more than ever. soonyoung knew better than anyone, even jihoon. wonwoo was not okay.

the proof lied in the nights when soonyoung woke up to screams of terror coming from wonwoo's room. when he'd arrive he'd find wonwoo clutching his chest, hiccuping for air in between his tears. the thin male had nightmares almost every night, though soonyoung would say that the experience of having to watch wonwoo suffer was a nightmare in itself.

then there were the early afternoons when soonyoung would come home for lunch only to hear the sound of endless sobbing coming from his best friend's bedroom. wonwoo refused his help in broad daylight which left soonyoung an earful of a friend in pain for the duration of his lunch breaks.

what hurt most was the piercing silence that lurked in their apartment all day, every day. the giant elephant in every room that just never seemed to get the hint to screw off. the disheartening feeling of not being able to help his best friend was a close second. the actual loss being third.

"I'm here for you every step of the way." soonyoung's hot breath fogged up the surface of the wooden door as he whistled into it, hoping that he was audible through the locked entrance to the cold bedroom. nothing but a shrill gust of silence came bursting back to answer soonyoung.

"he knows soonyoung, he knows." jihoon sighed softly, reaching down to lend the blonde a hand. soonyoung was reluctant. he didn't want to leave wonwoo behind, at least not like mingyu had.

___

wonwoo had never seen himself being able to sit in the same room as mingyu, let alone spending his life with the human maltese. that was how things always went though. unexpected enemies become great allies, and mingyu was well just the greatest you could get even if he was a pain in the ass half the time.

"you're so cute when you're mad." mingyu smiled, leaning in to press a kiss onto wonwoo's nose. only wonwoo dodged at the last minute leaving mingyu a mouthful of drywall to deal with on his lips. "hey, this is supposed to be the part where you forgive me and kiss me back?"