Chapter 38: Quickly

Nat's POV

    "It's a shame that you couldn't make a training activity today," Clint said in a mocking tone.

    It was Tuesday, Nat had almost forgotten about the training schedule. She would have to wait until next Tuesday to finish the long, drawn-out Capture the Flag game.

    It was probably for the best; no one would be able to concentrate, with the mission being later that day.

    "I guess you'll have to wait until next Tuesday," said Nat, enjoying how he looked worried about the soon to come training.

     "Maybe we'll have another mission." Clint sounded hopeful.

    "Aren't you supposed to be flying the plane?"

    Clint refocused on the task, muttering under his breath. Nat twisted around in the co-pilot's seat to watch the other two in the plane.

    Marjorie was sprawled casually in the plane, not belted in, but Clint was too good of a pilot for that to matter. She was staring at her phone, occasionally typing, and Nat guessed that she was texting, probably Bucky.

    Lehnsherr appeared to be trying to talk to Marjorie, asking her lots of questions. It wasn't going so well for him.

    He would ask something like "what do you do when you're not on missions?" or "are you making any friends?" It seemed that his dad mode was activated.

    But he would get answers like "I don't know," and "I guess." Marjorie barely looked up from her phone until:

    "Who are you texting?"

    "No one, really," she said evasively.

    Lehnsherr looked suspicious. "Is it someone I know?"

    Nat frowned. If Marjorie was really texting Bucky, he would probably react badly to finding out that they were dating, and the last thing she wanted was for Lehnsherr to find out about him in a flying metal object.

    Especially if he was in dad mode. Nat felt she was finally understanding Marjorie and Lehnsherr's relationship; he obviously felt responsible for her somehow.

    "I don't think so," Marjorie said. Nat hoped that she had come to the conclusion to not mention Bucky. Nat internally face palmed for forgetting to tell her not to.

    "So, one of the Avengers then?"

    Marjorie paused. "Why do you care?"

    Lehnsherr crossed his arms. "Am I not allowed to care about my favorite student?"

    "Teachers aren't supposed to pick favorites," she said, smiling slightly. Nat watched her with intrigue. Was she about to learn some of who Marjorie was before joining the Avengers?

     "Teachers aren't supposed to tell their students their favorites," he corrected. "But now that you graduated I hardly see you anymore."

    "That's not true! I come to campus every once in a while."

    She did? But Marjorie never left the tower unexplained...

    Nat realized that if she was teleporting, and came back within an hour or so, no one would be the wiser. Except Bucky, but he wouldn't know if she left for these trips at night.

    It wasn't like they slept together, in the same room. Did they?

    "Not enough, I hardly get to hear about you. I want to know what's going on in your life, Marjorie."