Chapter 5: Crushes

Steve's POV

"You guys can just go past. I don't really care." Sam went back to staring at his phone.

    Steve and Clint had run into Sam at the top of the stairs. Sam was just standing there, leaning on the wall, scrolling. His lack of effort was not unheard of, but still unusual. Nat had probably posted him hear as a lookout, not to engage, but to warn her who was coming and when. They probably had coms.

    Steve walked past Sam, and Clint followed.

The 4th floor was residence (and the 2nd was living room/TV/kitchen), where all their rooms were. Nat would have never actually hidden the flag in her room. That was way too obvious. And she knew the first thing they would do was get Marjorie to track them, so she had stationed her team as bait. Bait she knew Steve's team would recognize as bait. It was too obvious, on purpose.

    "We should search Nat's room," Steve suggested.

    "Agreed."

    Steve and Clint rounded the corner, nearly running into Bruce, who was reading. Steve supposed that you didn't really have to do anything if Nat was on your team. "Are you guys going into Nat's room?" he asked.

    "Yeah," Steve said casually, his hands in his pockets.

    "You know it's a trap, right?"

    "Well, duh," Marjorie's voice said from behind him. She had materialized out of Steve's shadow.

Marjorie had a deep gash across her cheekbone. She brushed her fingertips across the cut, and her skin knit together. It was easy to forget just how powerful she was until she did an impossible thing like that casually.

When she first joined the team, she had been warier about using her powers in front of the team. It was almost like she expected a negative, hateful response, which made sense, considering the prejudices against mutants. She hadn't needed to hide it though, everyone on the team was used to weird and extraordinary. Steve was glad she trusted them. But still, Steve got the feeling that she could use her power for more.

    "Did Nat have the flag?" Clint asked.

    "I don't think so, but it's Nat. Have you seen her play Tetris?"

    "Too true. And Janga?"

"Now there's a horrifying thought."

They followed him into Nat's room, leaving Bruce outside.

"Marjorie," Steve had reevaluate their plan now that Marjorie was back. "Can you make sure Nat hasn't killed Bucky yet?" Bucky might need backup, and Steve kind of shiped it.

Although, Steve didn't think Bucky liked her, in that way at least. Oh, well.

Marjorie nodded and vanished.

Now for Tony.

After he was gone, Steve could search the room. Tony was too much of a distraction, with his perfect hair that made Steve want to run his hand through it, and his crooked smile that made Steve want to kiss him, and his gorgeous body that —

Tony is impossible. I need to be realistic...

Steve needed to stop thinking about Tony.