Chapter 20: Nightmares

trigger warning: mild language that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

trigger warning: dark themes and references to child abuse that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Marjorie's POV

    "No, I'm good."

    "Are you though?" Wade countered over the phone.

    Marjorie was trying to convince Wade that he didn't need to come over again.

    Not that she didn't want to see him.

    It was just late. It was 10:27, and Marjorie wanted to go to sleep.

    "Yessssssss," Marjorie said.

    "Sorry I couldn't call you earlier, again. Some guy really didn't want to die. It turned out fine, though."

    "Wade, you don't have to check on me every five seconds. I'm fine."

    "Really? You're always upset for a week or so after your birthday." Wade sounded genuinely concerned.

    He was right though; she was always upset around her birthday. Maybe the trick was to distract herself, keep herself busy.

    Having friends who cared helped.

    And Marjorie was grateful to them.

    She would be fine.

    She would have to be fine.

    "I feel fine, Wade," Marjorie said, trying to sound sincere.

    And she was sincere. She was fine.

    "Alright, then! Have fun with your boyfriend!"  His tone implied something dirty.

    Marjorie grinded her teeth. "He's not my boyfr—"

    "Not with that attitude!" Wade said gleefully. "But you could totally take him if you wanted; he was staring at you very intensely~" he sang.

    "Goodbye, Wade."

    "All I'm saying is that you would be so hot together! But if he's single—"

    Marjorie hung up on him.

    Wade just didn't get it.

    She had had to explain the whole dynamic between her and Bucky to Wade, but he refused to accept that she couldn't just randomly go and make out with him. Wade was very flexible when it came to relationships, and while none of his past relationships had lasted longer than a week, they were very physical.

    Something he was for some reason inclined to tell her about.

    Ewwwww...

    Anyway, Marjorie was tired, and it was 10:30 something, but she wasn't going to willingly close her eyes and make herself susceptible to nightmares.

    She occasionally got nightmares and flashbacks, but they were rare and dulled with time.

    But Marjorie just knew that if she closed her eyes now, she would have one.

    She alway got them this time of year.

    Except for last night. Maybe because Bucky had been there when she had fallen asleep? When she had waken up, she had been alone and tucked into her bed with a blanket wrapped around her. He must have moved her after she fell asleep. Marjorie felt a blush coming upon her cheeks, and shoved away any thoughts of the annoyingly perfect ex-assassin.