Chapter 31: Control (Part 2)

trigger warning: dark themes and references to self-harm that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

trigger warning: mild sexual content that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Marjorie's POV

Marjorie had—somewhat childishly—locked herself in the bathroom to think. She was also trying to get her hair under control, but mostly to think.

Even with her ability to sense emotion, she still was clueless to what Bucky was thinking. She wished he had explained the flustered thing more, Marjorie wanted to understand what he was feeling—especially if it was about them.

Them.

Marjorie's stomach still did flips whenever she thought about them as a couple.

I am dating Bucky Barnes! she told herself excitedly.

And the other thing; the nightmare thing.

Marjorie firmly decided that she was overthinking it. She just needed to look at it from a scientific standpoint.

The facts were simple: Bucky had had nightmares every night except for last night, which he had spent in a different environment.

The desired end result was clear too: find out why and prevent future nightmares.

The hardest part would be finding out why. Marjorie would have to find out all the variables that had changed. However, dreams were not an exact science. This would probably be a lot of speculation.

Marjorie determined that her hair was as good as it was going to get and unlocked herself from the bathroom.

She routinely ignored Bucky's shadow vapor reaction to her entering the room.

"Marjorie," Bucky said, looking worried. He had changed (He was still rocking the edgy-on-purpose black on black look.) and his hair looked slightly less disheveled. He looked like his normal sexy—like he had just rolled out of bed.

But, you know, someone else's bed.

Marjorie's heart skipped a beat when she realized that he had rolled out of her bed. Technically, anyway.

Bucky's mouth was set in a worried line. This immediately made her worried. "I forgot to tell you something important last night."

"What kind of important?" Marjorie asked warily.

"The 'you are in danger' kind."

Oh. And here she was worried if he had decided that he didn't like her after all. Marjorie knew he did, but still, she worried.

Marjorie sat down next to him. "What danger?"

Bucky seemed worried, but it was probably an overreaction. He was a bit prone to overprotection. "The mission I went on during your mission recovered some data."

Marjorie had no clue where he was going with this.

"Apparently, there is some organization called HAEIW... It stands for humanity against enhanced individuals worldwide."