Chapter 13: Overprotective

Bucky's POV

Something was wrong.

The door stayed notably closed as Bucky stared holes into it.

He was waiting for Marjorie to appear.

Last night she had gone to bed approximately 1 hour and 37 minutes early, and she had looked upset. And she had not apeared for breakfast, or training. It was 11:14; she should has come out by now.

And Bucky was willing to bet that she didn't teleport somewhere—the only time she did that was on training and missions.

Marjorie was deep in the habit of hiding her umbrakinesis; Bucky just wished he knew why.

Bucky was unsure why she was hiding, he had already gone over every conversation and interaction she had had with anyone during the past three days—that he had been present for—and couldn't think of anything upsetting or abnormal. And he had asked Nat.

Their theroy was that today—June 22nd—was some sort of anniversary of something.

Nat had wanted to look up Marjorie's file, but Bucky resisted. He would never invade her privacy like that—she would tell him if it was important. Right?

Right?

Doubt was trying to seep through the cracks in his mind.

Marjorie trusts me, Bucky reminded himself.

But does she? the voice in the back of his mind said. Why would she?

You are a murderer.

A killer.

You have the blood of hundreds on your hands.

Why would anyone trust someone like you?

Bucky tried to push the thoughts to the back of his mind. They weren't true. Were they? No, they weren't.

But now isn't the time for this, Bucky reminded himself. Marjorie might need help!

"Sergeant Barnes," said the familiar, cool British voice.

JARVIS.

Tony's AI.

At first he creeped Bucky out, but JARVIS was alway polite, and rarely bothered him. And then, Bucky had just got used to it—him? They? (Did AI have pronouns?)

Mostly, anyway. It was to easy to forget he was there, and JARVIS sometimes startled him.

"There seems to be an unknown intruder trying to get in the building."

Bucky immediately snapped to attention. "Who? Are they armed? I assume you told—or are telling—everyone else?"

"Of course. The intruder appears to be carrying several firearms, and swords; along with presumably other weapons I did not detect. As for his identity, he is wearing the mask and suit of the alisus Dead—"

Marjorie swung open the door, and Bucky immediately noted several things off about her appearance.

1. She wasn't wearing makeup.

2. Her eyes were red, like she had been crying.

3. Her posture indicated that she was uncomfortable, like she was trying to make herself as small as possible.

"—pool," JARVIS finished.

Marjorie looked at Bucky, probably noticing how he was leaning on the wall directly across from her room's door.