27

-• a new beginning •-

After sitting through the excruciating thirty minutes of heavy metal music, the school gates finally come into view. And when I saw my jaw drops, it literally drops.

The red bricked castle-like architecture is spread across hectares of lands. It's a four storey high building, with many towers and turrets and wide open corridors. I shift closer to the window to stare at the building. I feel like I'm in some kind of period drama that's based on a fantasy genre.

The breathtaking experience is ruined by Agastya's constant honking to make the sea of students walking down the gravel road part ways for his car. Dried leaves crunch beneath the tyres as he drives us deeper inside before we finally reach the parking lot. He parks the car in a free spot and cuts off the engine, grabbing his backpack from Arush before he steps out of the car. The backseat doors open and the twins exit the car as well, making me the only one to stay inside, a nervous, anxiety-ridden wreck.

Agastya walks past the bonnet and stops at my side, knocking on the closed window to catch my attention. I meet his eyes to watch him nod his head as a gesture for me to come out. I raise my hand at him, asking him to be slightly patient so I can pick up my fallen confidence before toughing up to face a new chapter in my life.

Isn't it too late for that?

Some beginnings are so strange. Abruptly woken up, while you're still muddle headed from the previous chapter's instantaneous ending. I didn't even get time to realise before I was already plunging into this completely different world of my life.

If the fifteen year old Taranya Chauhan knew this is what her life would come to a year later, she would have prepared herself well for the new beginning. But is it even life if it's not unexpected? Maybe if the fifteen year old Taranya knew about this huge unpredicted twist in her life, she would have spent the last days of her mother's life trying to change it rather than being there in the moment.

Agastya knocks on the window again.

I take a deep breath and unlock the door. He pulls it open for me, slamming it close once I step out of the car. I swing the strap of my backpack over my shoulder, ignoring the attention drawn towards me by glancing at my brothers.

"C'mon," Agastya takes the lead. I walk beside him, the twins on my right as we make our way into the school building. I feel several pair of eyes lock on me, their gaze curious as they stare while I walk with my brothers.

"Agastya!" A dark-haired boy from a random group raises his hand to wave at us. Or preferably, at Agastya.

"Save me a seat." Agastya tosses his backpack at the boy and he catches it swiftly. My brows rise in appreciation. He must be on the baseball team with Agastya. All the boys in the group are physically the same. Tall, buff and athletic.

"Won't you introduce?" Another one asks, glancing at me for a fleeting second. His ear piercing catches the gleam of sun ray, and sparkles in the dark hallway.

"You guys already know her," Agastya rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, but not personally." The piercing guy says. "Hi, I'm Krish." He stretches his arm forward. I feel stumped for a moment, but overcoming the initial suprise, reach out with my own to shake his hand. He clasps it firmly and shoots me a soft smile before pulling away.

"Hey, I'm Aryan," the dark haired boy introduces.

"Hi,"

"Arjun," another says. The scar crossing his right brow catches my eyes first.

I nod at him. "Hi,"

"I'm Rahul," another one stretches his arm forward. His fluffy dark hair falling across his forehead. I lean in to shake hands with him.