2

-• survive •-

There's two ways you survive; either as a predator, or the accomplice of a predator. I'm neither. People like us never get the opportunity to act beyond the limits set by the world. We are mere preys. So the smaller we hide, the higher the chances of our survival. Now with my safest hideout gone, I was vulnerable and exposed. More than the emptiness of losing my mother, I was scared of the loneliness that awaited me. How many kids like me are orphaned everyday? Probably millions. I'm not a special case, and that, that terrifies me.

"Tara," I look up from the clean hospital floor. What smelled like disinfectant until yesterday, now reeks of blood and death. People here are used to it. I wish it was that easy for me. "I know it is not a good time to tell you this, but we can't afford any delay. You're not an adult yet, but as the only family of Scarlett, you can make the decision."

I frown. "What decision?"

"Organ donation," he answers.

I suck in a deep breath. "Are you suggesting we pull off the life support?"

He crouches to my height, meeting my eyes with his light brown ones. "Her insurance won't cover for the life support, Tara. And you're not earning yet."

"We- we can sell the house?"

He sighs. "Tara, you're not thinking practically. The house is the only property left for you. It's your home." He grabs my hand in his. "Let go of her, Tara."

"Let's wait another day-"

"Another day adds another zero to the bill, Tara."

"So what!?" I scream and get away from him. "I'll be an orphan, Uncle Garett! That's my mother! My mother, God damnit!"

He rushes closer to calm me down. "Shh, take a deep breath," my harsh breath settles feeling his hand run down my back. "Try to understand, Tara."

I shove his hand off and walk inside the ICU. My mother lay on the bed, attached to different machines, eyes closed, her body completely motionless. I sit by her side and grab her hand in mine. "Mumma, wake up." I plead pathetically. "You promised me. Don't do this to me, Mumma. I've no one. I'm so scared to be alone." My sight blurs with unshed tears and I wipe them away with the back of my hand. "Mumma, you hear me right? You know I'm here, by your side. You can feel me, don't you?" I ask desperately. "I know you do. Nobody here believes me, Mumma. You hate it when people undermine me, don't you? Tell them off for me, Mumma. Prove me right. Wake up, Mumma! Please! Please! Please!" I beg, soaking her hand with my tears as they flow down my cheeks heedless. I feel my entire body tremble with grief and hopelessness, as if I'm sucked into a cube of neverending heights with no way out.

A hand rests on my shoulder and I turn around to throw myself in the arms of warmth. Her hand was so cold it froze mine. I couldn't bear holding it any longer. Uncle Garett pats my head gently, letting me cry on his stomach.

When I pull away, I see the consent paper in his hand and stretch mine to take it. He appears surprise but lends it in my palm.

"Pen?"

He removes one from his pocket and hands it to me. I sign at the end of the form.

"Your mother will be proud of your decision." He smiles at me. "We'll quickly prepare for the surgery."

I watch him leave the ICU hurriedly and turn to look at my mother. If her soul is watching down on me, I hope she isn't saddened to see me let her go so easily. I wish I could tell her money shackled my hope back. I had no say in this decision.

The doctor announces her dead at 12:01 in the midnight. I leave the hospital with Uncle Garett in his car.

"I'll take care of the funeral. Don't worry, okay?"