20

-• regret •-

I don't deny nor defend myself.

Vivaan shakes his head and turns to leave.

"Bhai!" I get up from the bed, regret surfacing from deep within.

He faces me again, disappointment in his eyes. "I won't put this past Yuvaan, but you Tara? I didn't expect this from you. I understand you are angry at him, you both don't like each other, but this is not how it should go, Tara. Dad stood up for you, because he believes in your kindness. And this? This is what you do? It's not a prank anymore if it costs the other person their dreams, their ambitions. How would you feel if you were in his place?"

"Horrible." I admit. "Horrible." I meet his eyes, not bothering to wipe the tears in my eyes. "But I swear I had no idea. All Yuvaan told me was that he won't be able to play an important game of the year and-"

"And that wasn't enough to stop you?"

I bite my lower lip in regret. "It should have been. I shouldn't have involved myself in this. I'm sorry."

"What did Yuvaan promise you in return?" He asks in a straightforward manner.

"The reward," I answer meekly. "He will help me win the reward. I wanted to help Tarun. He was punished because of me and I felt so guilty."

"Good for you." Vivaan mumbles.

"Bhai, even if I had said no, Yuvaan Bhai was determined to reveal it to-"

"You're right." He nods at me. "Because that's expected of him. He's capable of pulling these cheap tricks. You're not."

I open my mouth to try and justify my actions when Yuvaan steps into the line of my sight, looking at Vivaan with hurt.

"Seriously, Bhai?"

Vivaan sighs and steps aside, looking at the other man in disapproval. "Don't even try to defend yourself. I warned you. I told you not to do this."

"And what about him? He broke my art piece hours before the curators from the museum came for personal inspection! I lost the chance, Bhai! I lost an opportunity to have my art displayed at one of the most prestigious museums of the world! All because of him!" Yuvaan heaves harshly.

"He didn't do it intentionally." Vivaan shakes his head.

"As if you'd know," Yuvaan snorts.

"I do. Because that night, he came to me, and cried for hours long. Because he regretted it so bad."

"Why didn't he come to me then!?" Yuvaan snaps aggressively.

"Because you punched him and told him not to show his face to you for the rest of the day. You wanted to be alone. You weren't ready to hear his side!"

Yuvaan shakes his head, refusing to believe the words. "If if he had shown me his regret that evening, there was a probability I wouldn't have gone this far. But since he didn't, that's on him. You can't expect people to understand your inner emotions when you act like a fucking douche on the outside. He brought this on himself. I don't give a fuck!"

"Do you really not?" Vivaan countered.

Yuvaan hesitated. "Yes," and left.

Vivaan looked over at me. "Don't confess anything to Agastya. He might end up hating you forever." He sighs and leaves quietly.

I sit back down on the bed, clutching my head in my hands. I fucked up. I fucked up so bad. Janet was right. I shouldn't have done this. I shouldn't have involved myself in these petty brotherly feuds. Agastya was beginning to warm up to me, yes, he is still aggravating and entitled, but he didn't hate me. Now, he has a chance, and a reason to hate me. Forever.