Part 63 (Hospital in Atlanta)

Bob passed away peacefully the next morning. Everyone said their final goodbyes and Sasha sat with him until he quietly slipped away. They buried him in the cemetery of the church. It had been a while since the group had lost someone to a walker bite. All it did was remind them that the world is deadly regardless of whether they have a home or not.

Abraham's group were getting ready to leave for Washington, taking Glenn, Maggie and Tara with them as promised.

"This is our route to DC," Abraham told Rick as he handed him a map. "We'll stick to it as long as we're able. If not, well... you got our destination. Once Eugene gets to the big brains left up there, things are gonna bounce back. This group should be there for it. You should be there for it."

"They will be," Maggie said.

"Yeah, we will," Michonne added.

Rick nodded to them. "We will."

Abraham smiled before turning to the others. "Let's go!"

CJ went over to Glenn and smiled at him before the two of them hugged. "Be safe," she whispered to him.

"Yeah, you too," he replied as they pulled away from each other. "We'll see you soon."

"You got it," she nodded and held her hand up. "Love ya."

Glenn high-fived her and smiled. "Love ya too."

She went and stood with the rest of the group as they watched the bus drive away. Everyone went about their days after that. Tyrese and Rick went to bury the bodies of the Terminus people around the back of the church whilst the others stayed inside. 

Everyone was keeping to themselves, thinking over the events of the previous night. Worry laced all of their minds. Daryl and Carol still weren't back and none of them could come up with a reason as to why they would disappear on them.

CJ tried to take the day to rest, having not really slept the last couple of days, but it was no use. As she lay down on the bench, staring up at the high ceiling, fiddling with the charm of her broken necklace, she couldn't switch her brain off. Deciding she needed to get out for a bit, she grabbed her stuff and headed for the door.

"Hey," she heard Carl called over to her, making her turn back around. "Where are you going?"

"Just down to the stream," she replied. "I wanna get out for a while."

"You want me to come with you?"

"No, that's okay," she shook her head. "You stay here, take care of your sister. I won't be gone long."

"Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she smiled faintly. "Just need to be by myself for a bit."

Carl seemed unsure but nodded his head regardless. "Alright."

"I'll see you later," she said as she headed outside.

CJ walked through the woods, trying to clear her mind. The soft winds blew around her, making the leaves in the trees above her head lose their grip on the branches and fly free through the air. Twigs and bark cracked and snapped beneath her feet with every step she took. She could have walked along the road, but she wanted to take her time. She wanted this time by herself.

She came across one or two walkers, which she took out without an issue. Apart from that, the walk was quiet, uneventful, peaceful. She tried to keep an eye out for animals; squirrels or rabbits but had no joy. She didn't really care though. There was still plenty of food left from the foodbank so it's not like they were starving.