Part 87 (The Kingdom)

When it came to planning a war with a group like the Saviors, the people of Alexandria needed fighters. Way more than just them. However, the leader of the Hilltop, Gregory, was much too against the idea of making enemies. He was dead set on working with the Saviors, just letting Negan take whatever he wanted from them without argument.

They were all stood in his office trying to convince him otherwise. CJ stood at the back of the room, Carl stood to her left, Daryl to her right as they pleaded their case. Gregory, of course, had a lot of objections.

"No! No way in Hell!" he exclaimed as he paced around the room. "That was not the deal. You people swore you could take the Saviors out and you failed. So, any arrangement we had is now done. Null and void, hmm? We aren't trade partners, we aren't friends, and we never met. We don't know each other." He slumped down in his chair behind his fancy desk whilst Rick and the rest of the group glared at him. "I owe you nothing. In fact, you owe me for taking in the refugees at great, personal risk."

Maggie smiled in disbelief and shook her head. There had been an attack on the Hilltop a few nights ago, and she, Sasha and Jesus were the ones who took control and dealt with it.

"Oh, you were very brave staying in here while Maggie and Sasha saved this place," Jesus shot back sarcastically. "Your courage was inspiring."

"Hey," Gregory snapped. "Don't you work for me? Aren't we friends?"

"Gregory," Rick sighed, stepping forwards to bring the conversation back. "We already started this."

"You started-"

"We did," Rick cut him off. "And we're gonna win."

Gregory protested. "These are killers!"

"Is this how you wanna live?" Rick questioned. "Under their thumb, killing your people?!"

"Sometimes we don't get to choose what are lives look like," Gregory mumbled. "Sometimes Rick, you have to count the blessings you have."

Maggie rolled her eyes. "How many people can we spare? How many people here can fight?"

"We?" Gregory scoffed. "I don't know how many people we have, Margaret. And does it even matter? I mean, what are you gonna do? Start a platoon of sorghum farmers? Because that's what we got. They grow things. They're not gonna wanna fight."

"You're wrong," Tara argued. "When people have the chance to do the right thing, they usually step up. People don't-"

"Let me stop you before you break into song, okay?" Gregory cut her off abruptly.

CJ rolled her eyes and sighed, folding her arms over her chest. She already knew the guy was a coward and an idiot, but surely no one can be that blind. He must've understood on some level that the Saviors weren't going to just go away on their own.

"And by the way," Gregory went on. "Who would train all this cannon fodder?"

-"I will."

-"Give me a week." Sasha and Rosita spoke over each other.

"Rhetorical!" Gregory sang loudly. "Okay? I don't wanna know. And I never wanna hear another word about any of it. Ever."

"Would we be better off without the Saviors? Yes or no," Rick raised his voice angrily.

"Yes," Gregory threw his arms up lazily. "Sure, okay."

"So, what will you do to fix the problem?" Michonne pushed.

"I didn't say we had a problem," Gregory shrugged. "You did."

CJ spoke up, annoyed by the man's attitude. "We have a problem. Not just Alexandria, but the Hilltop too. Just 'cause you keep 'em happy right now, doesn't mean everyone else is safe. Eventually, they'll turn on you and you'll need help from us."