Part 52 (Walkers in A-Block)

Through her closed eyes, CJ felt a dim light reflecting against her eyelids. She felt the coolness of the floor beneath her and the softness of what she assumed was a pillow behind her head. It took a lot of effort, but she slowly opened her eyes. Her vision blurred for a second before focusing on Hershel sitting beside her, holding up an IV bag and smiling down at her.

"Welcome back," he said quietly.

"Good to be here," she whispered, doing her best to smile. "What happened? I pass out?"

"You were dehydrated and exhausted," Hershel replied. "Being a hero take a lot out of ya."

"You'd know," CJ shot back, making Hershel smile. "I thought I was done for a moment there. I don't know if I'd be here right now, if you weren't so stupid as to be down here," she chuckled.

"You know what, I'm gonna take that as a compliment," Hershel grinned.

His smile faltered and he looked away from CJ as though he'd just remembered something. CJ furrowed her eyebrows. "Hershel? What is it?"

"Nothing for you to worry about right now," he replied after a small hesitation.

"Hershel. I might die any second," she deadpanned.

"Clara-Jane you are not-"

"If you have something to tell me, now's the time," she cut him off. "Is it about why Rick came down here? Carl, Judith, are they okay?" she asked quickly.

"The kids are fine," Hershel told her reassuringly. He sighed and looked at her. "Rick found out what really happened... with Karen and David."

"Really? Who did it?" CJ tried to sit up and Hershel gently pushed on her shoulder to get her to lie down again.

"Carol," Hershel answered. CJ's face scrunched in confusion and shock. "He wanted me to tell you because... he sent her away."

"Wh-what do you mean, he sent her away?" CJ asked.

"They went on a supply run," Hershel explained. "He gave her a car and some supplies and told her not to come back here. He didn't want her around Carl or Judith." It was clear to CJ that it was hard for Hershel to repeat Rick's words.

"Jesus," she whispered. "I mean, I understand why he did it. I just.... man," she trailed off with a sigh. "What about Mika and Lizzie?"

"He told Carol we'd take care of them," Hershel replied. "I know you do a lot of that already. Those girls love you."

"And what happens when I don't survive this?" CJ shook her head.

"You will," Hershel said firmly. "Daryl and the others will be back any minute. I'm sure of it."

"Daryl..." CJ sighed with a small smile. "I had somethin' to tell him before he left. He wouldn't let me," she chuckled.

"Well, whatever it was, you can tell him when he gets back," Hershel smiled knowingly.

"If I don't make it-"

"You will."

"If I don't make it..." she repeated. "Can you make sure he knows how much I care about him?" she asked, tears brimming her eyes. "Don't let him blame himself. Don't let him shut you all out."

Hershel grabbed her hand with his free one. "If that happens, which it won't, of course I'll tell him," he promised. "But I'm not gonna have to. Him and the others will be home any minute now."

CJ smiled softly and shut her eyes as she nodded. "Yeah," she whispered, grabbing the charm of her necklace.

A couple of hours later, CJ feeling a bit more awake, but no better. She was sat up on the side of the bed in the downstairs cell, her head in her hands as she meant her elbows on her knees. She couldn't bring herself to climb the stairs.