Part 47 (The End of Woodbury)

The following morning, everyone was gearing up to prepare for their next move against the Governor. After Rick didn't show up to the meeting the previous day to hand Michonne over, there was no doubt that he was on his way.

They had packed up all of their belongings. Clothes, food, weapons, all of it. The place needed to look abandoned for the plan to work. They needed the Governor to believe that they had left. That they'd admitted defeat and run away. Then, once he let his guard down, they would attack.

CJ had woken up earlier than the others. Not by choice, she just couldn't switch her mind off. She had packed up all of her things a put most of the food in the car before the others were even up and about. It was colder that morning. The sun didn't come out of hiding from behind the grey clouds.

She wore her usual outfit: jeans, tank top, flannel, vest. Over the top she wore her dark green hoodie. It was a couple sizes too big but that only made it warmer. Her beige cap was replaced by a grey beanie and her hands were clothed in fingerless gloves of the same grey.

Once everyone else was up, it didn't take long for them to have their bags packed and ready to go. By now, they were all out in the courtyard, filling the cars with all the bags, stacking them in any way that they would fit.

Carl wasn't talking to anyone. He was mad at Rick for the Michonne thing. Rick had tried to speak to him about it, but Carl shrugged him off and ignored him. With the way things were and everything they had been through; it was easy to forget that he was just a kid.

Daryl was sat on the floor by his bike sorting through his bags when CJ approached him. He'd told them what happened with Merle. He'd gone to the Governor's meeting place. Daryl found him as a walker with a bullet wound in his chest. The Governor had left him to turn.

"You know, Merle never did nothin' like that his whole life," Daryl muttered as CJ stood behind him.

"He gave us a chance," CJ smiled sadly. He looked up at her and she offered him her hand. He took it and stood up. He held onto her hand for a few seconds before letting go. "You comin'?"

"Yeah," Daryl nodded. CJ waited for him as he picked up the rest of his arrows and bag before heading over to the car with her.

The plan was set and everyone was in position. They had driven the cars out to the woods and hidden them from view. Carl, Hershel, Beth and Judith were all to stay hidden by the cars until the Governor's people were gone and it was safe. Maggie, Glenn and CJ were all positioned around the courtyard wearing full riot gear. Glenn was hidden behind the outside doorway of the second cell block, Maggie was on the catwalk and CJ was on the platform across the courtyard from Glenn. Rick and the others were all hidden around the outside of the prison in case any of the Woodbury people tried to get in a different way.

They heard the faint sound of engines approaching the prison. The gates had been left shut but unlocked to add to the ruse. The army of Woodbury took out all the walkers in the field before blowing up the watchtowers. All of this was just a scare tactic. The Governor came up to the courtyard with his army and CJ and the others watched carefully as he led the way into the cell block. He was going slowly, looking around cautiously. Clearly, he was confused that nobody had come outside after the explosions and the shooting.

It was silent for a long while before the sound of a flash bang down in the tombs was followed by gunfire and yelling. That was the signal CJ, Maggie and Glenn were waiting for to know that the attackers had hit the trap they'd set and were now forced to come back outside.

CJ heard the door of the cell block open and the yells of the army grew louder as she and Maggie waited for Glenn's signal, which came just moments after.