BONUS CHAPTER 4 (Iselen POV)

"Have you two negotiated this?" Brian Drummond asks, smiling amused, and I shake my head, rolling my eyes.

"Of course not, it was purely coincidental, we didn't even talk about what we were going to wear tonight."

"Don't make fun of the poor girls, Brian. Don't you see they're very serious about traditions?" Emily Drummond smiles and pats my arm with affection. "You look beautiful, Iselen, way better than wearing cargo pants and worn-out boots."

"Thank you," I whisper smiling and looking around. The wide gallery with French windows overlooking the garden sparkles thanks to the big crystal chandeliers reflecting in the mirrors, the ceiling decorated with intricate plasterwork has been cleaned and restored and there're vases full of white flowers scattered around. The dowager countess of Dunira has done a great job helped by her nephew and my employees, no doubt. It feels like we've travelled back in time and Falkland castle is shining in all its glory again, full of nobles and ladies drinking, dancing and having fun.

The oldest guests are sitting on benches attached to the walls and enjoy champagne, whisky from my distant cousin's distillery and delicious canapes made by Mrs. Dunn. This is the party of the year, no doubt, not even Catriona thought that so many people would accept my invitation, and we had to cancel the dinner that I was supposed to offer to my closest friends... Because it turns out that "closest friends" is a broad concept and includes the chiefs of the most important clans, leading politicians of the country and members of the upper hierarchy of the Church, lot of people that could feel offended if we leave them out, so Catriona decided that we should skip dinner and go directly to the party. At least, Mrs. Dunn has made thousands of canapes, sandwiches, cakes and other Scottish delicacies helped by Mrs. Banner and women from the village. No one will be hungry here.

I stand on tiptoes, trying to find my wife among dozens of guests, while I smile, nod and greet everybody when they bump into me. I forgot most of their names but they don't seem to notice it, they're just happy to be here and take a look at my home. The garden covered with frost looks like something out of a fairy tale, Lennox lit up some torches outside and the ancient oak trees look like made of diamonds. I've always been aware of the fact that Falkland is a gorgeous place to live but tonight I realized how lucky I am because it belongs to me... and in addition to this, the most beautiful woman in Scotland is my neighbour and wife. If only I could find her...

Amid the madness of the preparations, no one thought about asking what we'd wear. Ruby didn't show much interest in my outfit and I never asked about hers, I just visited the dressmaker in the village to tell her what I needed before going back to my office to work in my investments. What happened two hours ago, when we finally met in the entrance hall, was a huge surprise.

We both chose dark blue velvet dresses, mine with shoulder straps and hers is strapless, they're simple but perfectly tailored. I'm wearing a very long piece of tartan fabric with Lindsay colours attached to my left shoulder with a diamond brooch, in the traditional style, going down across my chest and attached to the left hip with another brooch before hanging over the long skirt till reaching the floor. Ruby's wearing the Murray tartan around her waist like a sash, tied on her back with a big bow and the ends of the ribbon fall over her long skirt till reaching the floor too. The emeralds of her family shine around her gracile neck and contrast with the colourful tattoos while I picked out my great-great-grandmother's ruby and diamond earrings and bracelets. Both outfits are different but similar enough for people to think that we chose them deliberately. It's not the case, I swear.

"It's pretty obvious that you're soulmates, your minds think alike," Catriona and Lennox were laughing in the hall, in fact, everybody thought it was very funny.

"I never thought that Ruby would be wearing a dress, I pictured you wearing a tuxedo." The countess stared at me shocked, raising an eyebrow.

"Sometimes I feel like wearing a skirt, Lindsay. I warn you in advance that I'll wear a classic white dress to our wedding celebration next summer. I think the designer of your dress should talk to mine because I don't want to go looking like your twin sister."