Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

I was expecting Adrian, so I probably did a horrible job of hiding my surprise when somebody else walked in.

"Good afternoon, Adam. My name is Keiron, I am the doctor looking over Kaden. I have brought you some food, you should eat." He smiled warmly, handing over a warm plate of food, it was covered with tin foil, but it smelt really good, I didn't even realise just how hungry I was until the scent hit my nose.

He also gave me a bottle of water before his eyes drifted over to the still sleeping boy, laying peacefully in bed.

"I hope the food is to your satisfaction, if there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to let me know."

"Thank you, Keiron. Do you know when he will wake up?" I asked, I didn't know what Adrian had told the doctor, but he didn't seem to react to the fact that I was here, or that I was holding Kaden's hand like my life depended on it.

"I'm afraid I don't."

Kaden's neck was still bruised but it didn't look as bad as it did, I knew if he was human his neck would not be a pretty sight right now, I wondered if they healed like we did, or maybe they could use their magic to heal.

"How is he doing, in general?" I didn't know if he would give me that information, but I was going to ask anyway.

"The bruising on his neck has calmed down considerably with use of the cream." He held up a small container that was on the bedside table next to Kaden. "Luckily, his throat hasn't sustained any major injury, though when he wakes it may hurt a bit to talk. His body is exhausted of course, his energy was largely consumed faster than his body could keep up with, causing him to pass out. Simply put, he's just tired," he finished with a small smile.

My head nodded on its own as I slowly registered his words. Just tired.

"Thank you, Keiron."

He nodded with a slightly larger smile. "Eat, I'll just be next door if you need anything." He excused himself then, once again leaving me alone in the room with my unconscious mate.

My mind was racing with new thoughts as I pealed back the tin foil on the plate and forced myself to eat. I had too many questions and nobody here to answer them, I hoped Adrian would visit us soon, hopefully he would be able to answer some of them.

*

"You're such a mystery to me, I find myself wanting to know everything, even the small things, you know? The insignificant things that seem so unimportant. I want to know your favourite colour. Do you read? What's your favourite book? What song makes you feel better when the day has drained everything out of you? Your go to place, a place that makes you feel calm. Do you feel loved, cherished? What's your favourite conspiracy theory? Your favourite move, or tv series, I want to know it all."

"I was looking forward to our date, and it angers me that it was ripped away from us. You wanted to spend time with just me and it made me so painfully happy. I wonder what it's like in your head, is it loud in there, or quiet? I will admit, I like to know things, but I've never been more curious about another living being before."

"You fascinate me, Kaden."

The door opened again as I fell silent, and I almost thought it would be Keiron again, checking up on things, but this time it was Adrian that stepped in.

"You look exhausted," I thought aloud.

"I am," he laughed, but plastered a smile on his face either way. "No progress?"

I shook my head with a frown, guess I was not much use after all.

"Don't feel bad, none of us have been able to get a response from him. Did you eat?" He looked to where my hand was holding onto Kaden's and smiled, a real smile this time, and I found myself squeezing Kaden's hand gently.