Chapter 12

He placed me down on the bed before he got changed into his sleep wear. He laid down, letting me lay my head on his chest. I listened to steady beating of his heart as we both drifted off to sleep.

________________________

I woke up to find Daniel had already woken up and went downstairs. I heard some draws opening and closing. I got dressed into plain blue blouse that showed some of my collarbone, it had slightly puffed sleeves that covered the top third of my upper arm. I paired it with a plain green skirt that brushed my knees, I put a belt where to the two pieces of clothing met to pull the look together.

I slipped into some flats and went to the bathroom to neaten my hair. Once I deemed myself presentable, I walked down the stairs and saw that Daniel was reading the newspaper at the table. I looked at the time; 6:52.

I went to the kitchen and started making breakfast, I heard Daniel put the newspaper down and turn his chair to face my direction. I finished making breakfast and put it down.
"My story got into the paper" Daniel said, getting my attention.
"I thought it was only a mock story? Or have you worked on another story since?" I asked.
"It's the mock story, but it seemed to have been rather good" Daniel said with a smile "Of course I had to shorten it, but it's still in here" he said.

"May I see it?" I asked, since I hadn't really read any of his stories, mainly since he hated his old job at Oxford Mail, and I didn't read the Munich Post when I lived in Germany since I had only just turned 17, and I was a National Socialist at the time, and Munich Post was known to talk down on Hitler. Although they have now officially closed down after Hitler ordered SS men to trash the office and take the reporters to jail, Daniels old colleagues.

Daniel passed me the paper and it was his international story about Germany. Once I finished reading it, I gave it back to Daniel "It's good, well done, and since it was only a mock story, who knows what will happen when you do a real one, you'll climb the ranks quickly, after all, the more you do something, the better you get" I said with a smile, proud at what Daniel had done.

Daniel returned my smile before taking our dishes to the kitchen "Thank you" he called once he went into the kitchen.
I walked into the room, shaking my head "Weren't you taught not to speak to someone in another room?" I asked, helping to wash the dishes.
"There's no wall, so it's not really another room" Daniel teased.
I let out a laugh "That's not what the saying means" I sighed, putting to dishes away.

We both sat down at the table "So, what do you have planned for today?" Daniel asked me.
I didn't answer for a few seconds "I'm not sure, maybe walk around London, find out where everything is, do another shopping trip, maybe go visit you at lunch time if it's agreeable to you" I listed.

"In other words, mark time until you start university?" Daniel chuckled.
I sighed "Yep, nothing like being bored and not having anyone to be with. If I was in Oxford, I could go out with June or Mary, probably look after the boys while their governess visits her beau" I explained, placing my head down.

"You prefer Oxford over London, don't you?" Daniel asked, his tone not as light as it was before.
I shook my head "No, I'm fine with living in London. I'm just bored, Once I start university, I'll be fine. I'll have new friends, and something to do with my time, even if it's doing homework or working on assignments" I chuckled.
Daniel chuckled lightly "Are you sure you aren't a workaholic?" Daniel asked, raising one of his eyebrows, giving me a smirk.
I looked at the table, shaking my head "Probably, that or I've just gotten so used to having school or work I don't know what to do when I don't" I laughed.