Not enough Time

Before our lips could meet each other, a loud beep sound came and an uneasy feeling started to rise in my heart. 

As Jake muttered 'shit' before he turned around and started to take out his laptop from his backpack and started to type random keys furiously. 

His jaw was clenched hard in anger or anxiety, I don't know which. So I asked carefully, "What happened Jake?"

He didn't reply to me and continued to do his work. I waited patiently and jumped in surprise as Jake cursed loudly, "Fuck! Damned it!"

He looked at me and said, trying not to make me much worried, "We need to get out of here?"

I asked, not believing what I had just heard, "What!?"

He continued to type random keys without looking at me and said in a rush, "Pack your stuff, we are leaving in a few minutes."

I quickly headed upstairs to my bedroom and started to pack my stuff. After packing my things, I got to Jake's bedroom and packed his bags too and took everything downstairs.

I couldn't believe what was happening, I didn't even know what was happening, to be honest. But I couldn't argue with Jake right now. When I got downstairs, after a few minutes, the beeping sound had stopped and I found Jake with his hand on his hair staring at the screen.

I make some sounds to let him know that I have taken our bags. 

He shut his laptop and slid it into his bag. Standing up, he came to me and took the bags from me. 

Walked toward the car, tossed the bags inside and turned to me while asking, "Will you be driving?"

I nodded in agreement, took the keys from his hands and settled myself in the driving seat. 

Jake also sat in the passenger seat and took his laptop out and continued to type random keys as I continued to drive.

The car is in silence only the sound of Jake's keyboard was hearable. 

As I was driving, some cars passed near us quickly. So I turned to look at Jake who had stopped typing and was looking blankly ahead.

I didn't say anything and slowly started to understand, his pursuers managed to get his location. As the realisation hit me my heart started to beat faster. 

I look at Jake who look like he is blaming himself for earlier, so I called him, "Jake"

He looked at me in a daze and didn't say anything. So I asked, "Are you ok Jake?"

He looked at me and said quietly, "Yes everything is fine don't worry."

I hate the way he is not telling me anything and the way his walls again started to rise when something like this happened. But I don't want to argue with him right now so I said quietly, "If you say so."

We both became quiet for a few seconds, and I broke it by asking him, "So where are we going?" Which I regret asking.

He was quiet for a minute and said, "You are going to Lilly's house or Jessica, you can choose."

I hummed and suddenly a realisation hit me, he said, 'You' not 'we' I looked at him and asked, "What about you Jake?"

He didn't reply to me and I felt like crying. I took a deep breath and said, "Jake…You…"

He cut me off and said, "I guess, for now, this is our parting Mc."

We both became quiet, and this silence between us was suffocating enough to breathe. 

So I park the car aside the road and try not to cry and said, "Jake"

But my voice cracked and Jake turned to face me. He looked at me guiltily and sighs before taking my face in his hands and leaning his forehead with mine, his shoulders sagging in defeat.

Jake looked at me and said gently, "Please… don't cry, my love… It will be harder for me to leave…if you cry."

As he said I completely broke down hearing his words "I…don't want to… I just…"

As I cry, Jake's eyes softened looking at me and I can see in them that he didn't want to give up on us. I know, we both knew that two days are not enough, that we needed more than two days. In our hearts, we both know that no amount of time is enough to satisfy us.