34. Let them Listen

''fuck." Tommy muttered as he pulled up to May Carltons house. It was a mansion and he didn't know what he was doing here. He did but he was breaking Cora's heart. But then again Cora already thought he was fucking May. He pulled up and got out of the car. He knew that if he wanted to reconcile with Cora he had to show he could be patient but he was not a patient man.

"Mr Thomas Shelby, madam.'' May turned around surprised to see Tommy in her house.

''Nice house.'' Tommy remarked slowly making his way to her.

''Would you like a whisky? Scotch or Irish?''

''Irish.'' Tommy informed her. ''Sorry for the short notice. I was passing.''

''We're not quite on the Birmingham road.'' May remarked

''It was a small diversion.'' Tommy informed her nonchalantly.

''Sixty miles, I checked.''

'' That's a small diversion these days.'' Tommy informed her

''So, I'm a small diversion. Good.'' May agreed there was something about tommy that she wanted, that she needed, the urge to rip his clothes off an take him right then and there. But his attitude stopped her, not knowing if he actually wanted her or if he would be picturing someone else. Would she even care? ''Your horse is still out on the gallops, but I had Mickey prepare this report. You can read it now if you'd like, then we can go see her. Is there enough light for you to read?'' May offered kindly.

''Yes, it's fine.'' Tommy waited as May went out and came back he wasn't surprised her at answer. He wasn't here for horses and she knew that.

''It's getting quite late. Mickey says she has the lungs of an elephant. She's nimble in the heavy going, but bounces a little on the hard ground.'' May told him and Tommy nodded looking up from the paper. ''Sorry, I'll let you read.''

''So, he thinks she'll favour good to soft ground, eh? A little juice in the grass.'' Tommy remarked

''Mmm.'' May hummed in agreement.

''Well, that's good for Epsom. Does he think she's not good enough for Epsom?'' Tommy questioned

''She needs a lot of work. The race board will need convincing.'' May countered

''I imagine you have some influence.'' Tommy remarked and May nodded sitting down next to him.

''Mmm.'' She agreed ''That's the suggested program for the next two months. Your glass is empty.''

'' It's fine.'' Tommy told her

''Are you hungry?'' May asked wanting him to stay, needing him to stay, to drink more to eat so he would want her, want her more than a trainer.

''Yes, a bit.'' Tommy admitted

''I can prepare something.'' May offered, she didn't cook, she had cooks. She had people that dealt with the horses but it was her name, her name that would stand tall.

''Do you have engine oil?' Tommy questioned and May stared at him confused. ''Before I set off for Birmingham, the car needs oil.''

''I'm sure my husband kept some in the garage. I can get someone to do it. This evening or tomorrow?'' Maeve questioned and it was tommy's turn to stare over at her. ''Well, we're so far from anywhere, people usually stay over. Especially before cars, when it was just carriages, people used to stay over all the time." May told him

''But I have a car.'' Tommy countered thinking it strange that she said husband but then so bluntly wanted him to stay. He wasn't against fucking a married woman as he wasn't against fucking when he was married yet he didn't want May, he wanted Cora. But he wasn't getting her as much as he craved her.

'' Yes." May agreed

" And you have engine oil." Tommy went on

''Probably.''

''But it would be very usual.'' Tommy went on.

''What would?' may asked ignorantly.

''For a guest to stay.'' Tommy reminded her

''We have a whole wing called the guest wing.'' May told him sweetly.

''Oh, you... You have a guest wing. Well... May.'' Tommy began

'' Have a smoke.' May offered lighting a cigarette for him. She took a drag before handing it over

''Thank you.''

''Ignore this.'' May said tossing aside a picture of her husband

''It's actually all right.'' Tommy told her but her face pinched.

''I put all his photos in a drawer and locked it... As if that was going to make a difference. I'm like a fucking lighthouse keeper... Out here on my own... Keeping his flame burning. But, of course, when anyone sees a lighthouse they steer clear, don't they?" may offered running a hand up tommy's leg.

'' Now, do you have a map? Of the house. Do you have a map?'' Tommy questioned and May stared at him confused. ''Because I'm not going to be able to find my way in the dark. You see, at midnight, I'm going to leave my wing and I'm going to come find you. And I'm going to turn the handle of your bedroom door without making a sound and none of the maids will know.'' Tommy informed her and a smile pulled at Maeves lips.

''You don't know maids.'' May told him with a chuckle

'' They hear a pin drop?''

''If there's a man in the house, they listen. They take turns.'' May told him as though it was a game to the maids.

''So, let them listen.''

+

''The date has been set. Three weeks from today. You checked out his house?'' Campbell asked he sat in a church the pews a light oak as tommy walked down the aisle.

'' There's coppers all over it. You'll take care of them?'' Tommy questioned not looking to him as he moved down the vacant church

''No. That would arouse suspicion. You'll have to deal with them yourself.''

'' And if a copper gets killed?" Tommy countered

''There will be no consequences for you, I have given you my word.'' Campbell reminded him.

''Which I know to be worthless.'' Tommy reminded him ''That is why I have been settling my affairs in the event of my death.''

''And making your peace with God, perhaps?'' Campbell mused ''Well, good luck with that.''

''I have made arrangements with men I trust. If I should die, then you will die. Know that.'' Tommy warned looking at him for the first time since entering the church.

''Ritz Hotel. London, Piccadilly.' Tommy had to call to say goodbye.

''Hello? Hello?'' Tommy heard a man answer the phone. Answer graces phone

''Who was that?'' Grace questioned and Tommy listened wordlessly, a man in Graces house a man answering her phone. He really knew how to screw up every good thing in his life.

''Call got cut. I guess the telephone lines in England are not so good, huh?'' Tommy dropped down the phone before calling Cora.

"Come on Cora." Tommy muttered. "Pick up baby, pick up." But it rung out.