Chapter 140 - The Last Remnant

Start from the beginning

"Should we wait for anybody else?" Owen piped up. "I mean, you know, since Xerneas is probably reviving more of us..."

"From what I understand, Xerneas will need time to revive more of us," Lucario explained. "Unfortunately, even though he has been made whole, he spent a great deal of time as a Void Titan. His powers are diminished."

"Do you know when they'll be back in full force?" Owen asked. They all faced the entrance to the cave—one of the few spots that hadn't collapsed into itself—and began to walk.

"Don't know," Lucario said. "This is unprecedented. We've never been 'fallen gods' on the road to recovery. I can barely do anything timewise. I'm sure artifacts from my being are more powerful than I am at the moment." He paused. "Oh, that reminds me, do I have permission to kill Nevren later?"

"Uh, I, uh..." Owen blinked. He said it so nonchalantly... "What?"

"Nevren. He's Palkia's other half, you see, and he's quite evil. I'd rather Palkia be the dominant personality, even if he's a little misguided at times." Lucario hummed, nodding.

"I mean, that still sounds like it might be a problem," Demitri said. "Rhys died, but you're still here, after all."

Mispy's expression darkened. She avoided looking at anyone. But she happened to look at Owen, who must have shared the same grave expression because she winced.

"Ah." Lucario continued to walk ahead. "Well, yes. But, I do think... in certain circumstances, it's... There are, ah..."

Gahi's antennae twitched. Owen avoided looking at anyone.

"We should trust what he's saying," Owen explained quickly. "There must be a way to, uh, make sure Nevren doesn't cause even more trouble when he reunites with Palkia, that's all."

Lucario gave a thankful nod to Owen before continuing into the caverns. By now, he had to hop and skip over a few rocks and stones that had been part of the complex. Sunlight shined through large cracks in the ceiling of the cave. Those who were more soft-footed had to be careful where they stepped.

Owen had to admit, silently, that even the uncomfortable walking and wading through their old home's remnants was better than the Voidlands.

"It's all ruined..." Demitri fidgeted with his claws, head low. "I know we only spent a few months in there, but it's still hard to accept that it's all gone..."

"It's not all gone," Gahi said. "We c'n rebuild it, easy! Especially now that it ain't all shrouded in evil anymore!"

Mispy glanced at the sky, where there was still a tear in reality that led to the Voidlands. "Mm..."

"Bah, yer all pessimistic" Gahi stretched his wings and sped forward, which in turn made everyone else try to pick up the pace.

"I wonder if my tub-bed is still intact," Zena mused aloud. "Owen, would you like to check?"

"Yeah, and then after we can see—"

Demitri let out a shriek of terror. Everyone immediately entered a battle stance and rushed over to him, only to find that he was staring at a beheaded stone copy of himself, the head settled nearby and cracked in a few places. "W-w-w-wh... what... h-happened? That's... me?! Is this a threat?!"

"Oh, it's your old body," Owen hummed.

"Don't sound so nonchalant!" Demitri said. "That's... me! I'm... I'm dead?! I thought Xerneas..."

"Demitri, Xerneas made a new body for you," Owen said. "The Voidlands is a place where the living and dead are, like, interchangeable. I think what happened was, when we were attacked in Hot Spot... Dark Matter must have stolen our spirits, and our bodies... turned into this."