Chapter 85 - A Bright, Dark Storm

As it turned out, God appearing in the town square led to much more activity than usual. Rhys hadn't heard Arceus' name said so often since he'd actually been mortal, blurry as those memories were. Scouts had announced another town to the southwest had been attacked, and the assumption was another rogue mutant or two. Rhys was less certain; it was near the strange, dark blotch on the map that was rarely visited, after all. Void's Basin, they called it. Not even plants grew there.

Still, perhaps there had been a mutant wandering around that area without supervision. There was a Dungeon there, but explorations turned up nothing, not even a wild Pokémon. Then again, it was just a lifeless crater from the first war. With everything going upside-down, perhaps it warranted another check.

But that wasn't important now. What was important was the result: another group of badly injured Pokémon on a voyage that may have lasted the entire day or longer. Fliers had come first, claiming a whole village was coming for help, and in return, Elder had coordinated for their fliers to return and bring the injured back.

One of the Hearts, a Donphan, approached Rhys. He had no badge, for he wasn't a true Heart, but he was with their administration. The countless assistants that kept the organization running, even if they did not participate directly in the rescue efforts. His words were grave.

"We're running out of supplies. We don't have the space or the power to heal another wave of them."

And when he asked again if there were any stray supplies, extra donations, anything, he got the same answer: They didn't know what worked and what didn't.

That only redoubled his resolve. After locating him at the top of the Heart HQ, Rhys tapped Elder on the shell. "I'm leaving to find Emily."

Elder understood within seconds. There was a flurry of activity around them, extra Pokémon at the front desk to gather up and triage Dungeon missions. Elder glanced at his own bulky shell in the way of everyone's footwork and hauled himself to the edge of the room, nearby a small, potted Chesto bush that was stripped recently of its berries.

Rhys knelt down and wrapped his arm around Elder's outstretched neck, careful of his spike like it was muscle memory. Even after all this time, he still remembered to do that. Rhys smiled faintly at the thought.

When Rhys pulled away, he asked, "Will you be able to handle things while I'm gone?"

"Oho, they'll handle themselves." Elder nodded in the direction of the Hearts. "Anam taught them how to self-direct quite well. Even without their leadership, they know where to go, what to do..."

Rhys decided not to comment on the fact that it was probably because Anam rarely gave direct orders to begin with. James had been the main director. "They still need central leadership. Elder, that isn't something you're used to."

"I will last the day," Elder assured him, a confident plume of white smoke escaping the top of his shell. "I have Willow, ADAM, and even Manny and his spirits to help. Manny seems to have experience being a leader, too. So, one Lucario for another, hm?"

Rhys smiled back. "All right. Then I'll be back with Emily." He stood, though he hesitated again, wondering if going alone would be a good idea. But he couldn't afford to bring anybody else with him for something as simple as getting Emily. Everyone else was needed to help with stabilizing Kilo Village.

"Take care," Elder said. "If you aren't back by sundown, I'll send for help."

That only made Rhys' anxieties worsen. "You don't think it's that perilous, do you? Granted, ocean flight may take some time, and I suppose it might be a strain..."