season 2 chapter 8 ~ the snow ball

One month later

Barb's funeral was one of the first events. We all showed up. I didn't know her well. Neither did Steve, but we show up anyway. To support them. It's good the Holland's can finally lay their daughter to rest and bring peace to their minds again.

The annual snow ball is coming up. And by coming up I mean tonight. Dustin's getting ready for the dance. I've never seen him so panicked in his life. "SON OF A BITCH", he yells. "Dustin language!", mom says holding our new cat Tews or Mews 2.0.

"I know how much Mews meant to you guys, I was gonna wait until Christmas but my dad threatened to kill it if I didn't get rid of her. So merry early Christmas Cyndi." Steve says handing me a tiny siamese kitten in a red bow. "Steve oh my gosh!" I jump in his arms still holding the cat. "I love you so much!" I freeze. That was the first I love you. "I love you too.", he smiles a breathy laugh escaping him. We go in the living room to show my mom Dustin still being at Mikes. My mom is ecstatic hugging Steve, me, and the cat. "What are you gonna name her?", he asks "What about Tews?" I smile, "perfect."

"Where did you see it last?", I ask. "Right here where I put it." "What's in there that's so important anyway?", my mom asks, "you look fabulous baby." "Got it!", he beams running back to his room.

The doorbell rings. "That must be Steve.", mom says. I walk over to the door to answer it. Steve stands there with flowers in a red sweater and jeans. "Don't you look charming for just dropping my brother off at his big dance." He smiles, "Always gotta look good for my girl.", he places a kiss on my lips.

Dustin walks in. "Whoaaaa you look amazing!", he says fist bumping my brother. "Are you sure it doesn't look stupid?", he asks. "Stupid? Are you nuts? You look like a million bucks!" Dustin turns to me for my thoughts. "You look amazing. And I know you're gonna be the best looking person in that whole school." "You really think so?" "Heck yeah! If I didn't I would've made you wash your hair already."

"Okay Okay I need pictures of my babies!!", my mom exclaims. "Mommm.", Dustin and I both groan. "Oh hush just a few won't hurt. You two get together then I want some with Steve." She snaps a picture of Dustin and I.

Steve's eyes widen, "me?", he asks. "Yes of course! Get over there!" He looks lost not knowing what to do with his arms. "Oh my gosh. here." I wrap his arms around my stomach "Say Cheese!". "Cheese!", we all say.

"Cyndi your smile looks forced let's take a few more it's okay you won't be late you have 20 minutes to spare.", mom says. "Okay redo real smiles this time!" "Yeah Cyndi real smiles this time.", Steve says tickling my stomach. I try to hold in my laughter at first, but end up failing cause he continues. "STEVE STOP!", I exclaim trying to wiggle away from him. Being a lot stronger than me, I have no luck. My mom laughs snapping pictures of our fight. Dustin laughs at us too. "DO WE HAVE ENOUGH PICTURES?", I ask still laughing. "I think we're good!", mom smiles. Steve stops tickling me as I regain my breath from laughing.

"You both ready?", Steve asks. "Yep!", Dustin smiles running out to the car. "I CALL SHOTGUN!", he yells. I roll my eyes. "Only because it's his day.", I whisper to Steve. "Okay We'll see you later mom! I love you!" "I love you all too!"

We get out to the car Dustin's already in the front seat. Steve and I get in the car. "Lets go!", Dustin says. "Seat belts?", Steve asks. "DRIVE!!", he groans making Steve and I laugh. A few minutes later we pull into the drop off. Dustin hesitates before getting out. "Remember once you get in there" "Pretend like I don't care." "You don't care." "I don't care." "Oh my gosh Steve that advice is terrible.", I say. "Hey I got you from it.", he leans his head back to kiss me. "Not now.", Dustin whines.

We look back to him to see him checking himself in the mirror again. "Hey.", Steve says moving the mirror from him. "What?", he asks. "You don't need it. You look amazing Dusty.", I say. "I agree you look great buddy. So now you're gonna go in there." "Yeah" "Look like a million bucks." "Yeah!" "And you're gonna slay em dead." "Like a lion.", he does the weird purr thing again. Steve and I glance at each other then back at him. "don't do that. Okay?" Steve holds his hand out for a small high five. "Good luck." "Pound it.", I hold my fist up for him. A thing we've done since we were little.