season 1 chapter 3 ~ the monster

When we get back to my house Steve sits on the bathroom counter.

"You're an idiot you know that right?" He nods. "My head hurts so bad." "I wonder why dingus." He chuckles. I put some peroxide on a rag. "This is gonna hurt I swear if you scream."

I place the rag on his worst cut. He winces, "ow!" "Shut up." "Cyndi it hurts." "Stop being a baby Harrington."

I go to the kitchen and grab him a real ice pack. "This will help with the swelling a lot better than a coke can but you're all fixed up Stevie." "Cinderella." "Hey. That nickname was put to death with in 5th grade." He laughs. He's definitely bringing it back.

We look in the kitchen for some food. "Dustin hasn't been here at all today.", I say when I notice the spaghettios I left on the counter are still here. "How do you know." "He eats spaghettios everyday no matter the occasion. I leave them out for him and everything." "Maybe he changed his mind today?", Steve suggests. "You know my brother."

I take the phone off the wall and ring the Wheelers.

"Hello?", Karen answers. "Hi Mrs. Wheeler this is Cyndi Henderson." "Oh hi Cyndi I'm sorry I can't be on the phone long we have company is there something I can help you with?" "Yeah um has my brother been over there today?" "Yeah actually him and Mike just left in a big hurry where I don't exactly know but try the Sinclair's I'm sure Lucas is involved somehow." "Alright thanks Mrs. Wheeler." "Was he there?", Steve asks. "Yeah but he and Mike just left in a big hurry. She doesn't know why. Says she has company." "Nancy never mentioned anything about family coming in the other day.", he says.

"Wanna do a drive by?" He nods.

We get in his car and make our way to the Wheelers. "Power trucks?", I question. "Maybe their powers out." "Yeah definitely after I just GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH MRS. WHEELER! Gosh are you that stupid? Lets drive around town to their friends houses to see if there's any sign of them. Sinclair's and the Byers he might be there for Joyce." "Byers." "Yes Steve the Byers. I know you just got beat up but Jonathan but I have a feeling something wrong."

We stop at the Sinclair's and knock on the door. Erica answers it. "May I help you.", she asks sassily. "Is your brother here?" "No he ran off a little bit ago. If you see him tell him I won't cover him for more than 24 hours unless he pays me more than a buck." "Alright will do uh thank you."

I get back in the car with Steve. "Lucas isn't home either." "Maybe they're running around they are kids after all." "Steve it's going to be dark super soon. Dustin always calls me if he's staying later and clearly he don't plan on being back any time soon."

We drive to the Byers nightfall already here. "The lights are flickering.", I say pointing at the house. "Weird." "Will you come with me?" "Are you serious the one house I don't want to be at." "Please they have a long driveway and it dark and the lights are flickering." "Awwww somebodies afraid of the dark. poor thing.", he ruffles my hair. I push his arm away. "Steve please." "Okay okay fine I need to apologize anyway."

We both get out of the car and walk up to the door. Joyce isn't here. Steve knocks. "Jonathan? Are you there man? It's Steve!" "You're a moron.", I mumble. "Listen I just wanna talk!"

To our surprise Nancy opens the door. "What Nancy hey!" "Steve listen to me. You need to leave." "I'm not trying to start anything okay?" "No I don't care about any of that you need to leave." "No no no look I messed up okay. I messed up I messed up. Okay really please I just wanna make things right."

I notice a bandage wrap on Nancy's hand. I shift uncomfortably still thinking about Dustin. Steve notices the bandage now. "Hey what happened to your hand is that blood?" "No it was an accident." "Yeah what's going on?" "Nothing." "Wait a sec did he do this to you?" Steve tries pushing through the door. "no." "Nancy let me in" "NO NO!" He breaks through I follow close behind not wanting to be left out here alone but I don't want involved.

All around us are weapons and lights. "What is- what the-" "You need to get out of here.", Jonatahn says walking up to Steve who instantly flinches. "Listen to me I'm not asking you I'm telling you to get out." "What is that smell? IS THAT GASOLINE" "STEVE CYNDI GET OUT!", Nancy yells pointing a gun at Steve and I. "WHAT!?", we both yell. "WHAT IS GOING ON?!" "YOU HAVE SECONDS TO GET OUT OF HERE!"

she starts to countdown Steves questions more frantic as the lights start flickering. "NANCY!", Jonathan yells distracting her from the gun. "The lights it's here." "Whats here?", Steve and I say in unison.

The lights keep flickering. "I'm gonna pass out.", I murmur. Suddenly the ceiling breaks and some creature starts to break through.

Nancy shoots at it. "GO GO GO RUN RUN!!", Jonathan yells. We take off down the hallway into one of the bedrooms. "WHAT WAS THAT WHAT WAS THAT?!", Steve continues yelling giving me even more of a headache. "Shut up.", Nancy says. We walk back out and see nothing.

"This is crazy this is crazy this is crazy.", Steve mutters. Then picks up the phone trying to call anyone to help us. Nancy takes the phone out of his hand. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING ARE YOU INSANE?!" "It's going to come back. So both of you need to leave. Right now." I turn to go to the door without hesitation. Steve following close behind me.

"What was that? Are they crazy? Is this some kind of cult?", Steve keeps asking. "I DONT KNOW!" We look back at the house lights flickering followed by a scream. Steve and I exchange looks agreeing we have to go back and help.

When we get in there the thing is holding Jonathan down about to eat him. Nancy shoots at it running out of ammo. I distract it throwing stuff at it distracting it from Nancy. It pounces on me this time leaving a scratch on my collar bone.

I hiss in pain still trying to push it off. Steve takes a bat with nails in it off the ground and starts hitting the thing. "DONT EVER TOUCH HER YOU SON OF A BITCH"

"Jonathan now!!", Nancy yells as Jonathan throws the lighter on the thing. The ground bursts into flames along with the master. Steve holds me close to him as it continues burning I feel the blood dripping down from the scratch. Jonathan uses the fire extinguisher on it making all of us start coughing.

"You think it's dead?", I ask. "It has to be.", Jonathan answers. "Where did it go?", Nancy asks. "Hopefully Hell.", Steve says, "your neck are you okay?" He touches the scratch gently still making me wince. "I'm sorry.", he whispers. "it's okay I swear."
The lights begin to light up again only more gently. "mom.", Jonathan whispers.

"Alright can someone please explain what's going on here?"

AN- chapter 3 is done I hope you all love it!