21. Goddess of...

Ash's POV:

I woke to pain radiating throughout my whole body. I assumed only a few moments had passed since my collapse as I still lay on the floor. I saw Loki trying to get to me and Frigga holding him back.

Another surge of pain had me crying out. I didn't understand what was happening. I felt terrified and alone.

I could feel my body getting hotter and my skin felt different. I looked at my arms and saw iridescent forest-green scales covering me.

I screamed when I felt my teeth elongate and sharpen sinking straight into my lower lip. I rolled onto my hands and knees.

It felt as though my head was exploding. I reached up and could feel two horns protruding from my forehead.

I was terrified. What was happening to me? I had hoped that it was over, but I was very wrong.

If I didn't know better I would have thought someone stabbed me in the back. I howled in pain and felt a whoosh of air before collapsing onto the ground.

I was exhausted and my entire body ached. I looked in front of me and saw a terrifying creature staring back. I knew I was looking in a mirror but I was unable to comprehend what I was seeing.

"Kill the monster!" Odin yelled before striding towards me, staff raised. I opened my mouth to scream, but instead fire shot out barely missing the King.

I scrambled back into a corner and tried to calm myself down. I felt a reassuring pressure surround me. At first, I thought it was Loki, but when I looked down I saw it was my own wings.

Tears streamed down my face as I tried to understand what was going on. "What's happening to me? Why am I a monster!". I buried my head in my knees and cocooned myself in my wings.

I thought I was meant to become a goddess, why was this happening? At least Odin won't have to worry about Loki being with me. I bet he's disgusted with what I have become.

I could hear voices around me but the words were being blocked out by my leathery wings. I felt someone gently stroke the membrane of my wing.

Curiosity got the better of me and I slowly opened my cocoon. I looked out to see Loki staring at me with awe. "Why didn't you tell me you were a dragon?"

"I'm not a dragon, I am a mortal, or at least I was. That apple made me a monster".

He looked at me with shock before sinking to his knees and cupping my face in his hands. "You are not a monster. You are that last dragon in existence, your species was thought to have been hunted to extinction".

Tears continued to fall from my eyes. I thought I had been blessed, but now I'm an unlovable beast.

"Great, I'm the last of my kind, no one will ever find me beautiful or love me again" I sobbed. It seems as though my life was just filled with suffering. At least I had been loved once in my life.

Loki looked at me sadly, "don't I count?"

I turned my face away, I couldn't bare to see the love in his eyes die.

"You are a prince of Asgard. You cannot love a beast like me. It would destroy your reputation, ruin your life. How can you even bare to look at me".

I tried to hide in my wings again but Loki held them in place. "I don't care for my title, nor the opinions of others. I think you are just as beautiful as you were before eating the apple".

I sniffled. I wanted to believe his words but how could he still want me? I was just a monster now.

"Ash, darling, I love you more than life itself. I am honoured to be courting the last dragon. I hope you will consider going on a true outing with me now that we have our freedom".

I slowly looked into his eyes. I could see his insecurity and fear of rejection. But what really shone through was his love. At that moment I knew that he truly did still love me.

"I would be honoured, my prince".

A smile lit up his face. For a moment it felt as if the rest of the world disappeared and it was just me and my Loki.

That was until I heard Odin yell "you attempted to kill me, the King of Asgard. For that, I sentence you to death dragon!"

I couldn't even comprehend the words that had come out of his mouth. Death? But it was an accident.

Odin strode towards me summoning chains into his hands. I began to shake, I wasn't ready to die. I just found love, my life couldn't end yet.

Frigga once again stepped into Odin's path. "As Queen of Asgard I overturn your verdict. I love you Odin but you have become far too corrupt for the throne. If the Norns agree with me they shall strip you of your power".

For a moment it was silent, but then the windows to Loki's chamber blew open and a blue mist surrounded Odin. I heard him cry out as his powers were ripped from him and bestowed upon Frigga.

Odin collapsed unconscious on the floor. Due to his great age, losing all of his magic would take a hefty toll on the god.

I looked at Frigga who seemed both sad at the state of her husband but relieved that his reign of terror was finally at an end. 

She walked over to me and pulled me into her soft embrace. After a few seconds, I relaxed in her arms. "Welcome to the family, goddess of fire and dragons".