14. Apologies

Loki's POV:

Though I am free from the cells, I am still not allowed to attend royal functions or perform my old duties. Though the days have been a little dull, I am thrilled that I have Ash to fill my time.

I missed her far more than I care to admit during my first few months on probation. But I now know for sure that I can never leave her. If I do Odin will find a way to cause her even more suffering.

But luckily I don't mind being tied to the small girl. It turns out that the heart of this monster is capable of love after all. I will do all that I can to keep her safe and happy.

I decide to visit the Library first this morning. I know that there is a popular Midgardian book series there about a wizard named Harry Potter. I am hoping that Ash will enjoy them and that we can read them together.

After I collected the books I made a quick stop in Mother's garden. After a while, I found the perfect pink rose to take to Ash.

After all, she has been through, a flower is a poor apology gift. I would much prefer to find something in the marketplace. However, I am still confined to the palace so this shall have to suffice.

I know that it is nearing midday now so I quickly pop into the kitchen to see what I can grab for our lunch.

Due to her limited stomach size, I grab a small array of bread, meats, fruits and cheeses. As I head towards the exit I spot a glorious-looking chocolate cake. I assume that it is being saved for the feast tonight that I have not been invited to attend.

After quickly checking that no one is watching I cut two slices and add them to our lunch tray. I am not called the God of Mischief for nothing, and hopefully, this innocent stunt will not land me back in the cell.

Now that I am done collecting all the things that I came for it is time to return to my Ash. Hopefully, she has been getting some much-needed rest in my absence.

I open the door to my chambers as quietly as possible so as not to disturb the mortal. I am absolutely thrilled that I did as I am greeted by the sweetest sight.

Ash is sound asleep on my bed, but not only this. In her arms, she is tightly clutching my pillow with her face snuggled into the fabric. I wonder if it smells like me.

I try to keep silent as I creep into my own chambers, but I don't make it more than a few steps before I hear her stir.

"Loki" she calls out quietly without opening her eyes. I can't tell if it's because she's sleepy or if she's afraid that it's not me.

"Yes my love, I am here with lunch for us both," I say back watching her visibly relax at my voice. It warms my heart to see how much she trusts me. I hope to prove myself worthy of such a rare and beautiful gift.

I watch as she opens her eyes a little and smiles at me. This gesture urges me forward and I lay the tray of food and books on the bed.

"For you pet, I am sorry that I could not leave the palace to get you a real apology gift," I say as I hand her the rose. Shame bubbles up in me as I do not feel as though I can apologise properly.

She smiles and takes the flower before looking at me with a bewildered expression. "What could you possibly be apologising for. It's a beautiful flower and I love it, but I feel as though I'm missing something".

I cast my eyes down feeling the shame grow and consume me. "I left you in that cell alone, all of this is my fault. I am so ashamed of my actions and I can't find a way of making it right".

I keep my eyes downcast so that she does not see the tears threatening to spill from them. I do not wish to be forgiven until I make it right, but if she sees me cry I know she won't be able to hold the grudge.

I was shocked to hear a tiny chuckle that turned into full-blown hysterical laughter from her. I raised my head feeling confused as to what is so funny but I see absolutely nothing amusing.

"Loki, you were set free, you didn't have a choice but to leave me in the cells. I would have told you to take this opportunity if I had had the chance. Nothing that happened is your fault, there is nothing to forgive" she said smiling at me.

"Though if you don't mind I think I shall keep the rose. No one has ever given me a flower before and it is absolutely beautiful". She fondly smiled at the flower before lifting her gaze back to my face.

I had not realised it but my tears had begun to run freely down the contours of my face. My voice failed me and I could not react as she pulled me into her arms.

After a while, I heard her begin to sing.

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please don't take
My sunshine away

My tears began to slow but she continued.

The other night, dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you
In my arms
When I awoke, dear
I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please don't take
My sunshine away

I gently pulled away from her and kissed her lightly on the forehead. "I don't know what I have done to deserve you, but believe me when I say I will do everything in my power to keep you happy and safe".

A smile broke out on Ash's face and she pulled me into a tender kiss. "I love you," she said. It was so quiet that I almost missed it, but those words filled me with joy beyond measure.

"And I love you, my Midgardian Queen".