Chapter 45: Reign

Kings and Queens are, at heart, just ordinary men and women. Power and titles are what sets people apart. Everybody laughs, cries, bleeds, lives, and dies at some point in life. One time, Mary overheard the baker at the palace say, "We're all kneaded out of the same dough but baked in individual brick ovens." And that's true because people are people, regardless of where they came. Except royals are people whose heads are crowned with dreams and ideas and rule the land with vision and inspiration. Well, they should because without a good vision, the people perish, and that has been the chokehold of King Henry VIII.

When the Brandon family arrived at Whitehall Palace, the atmosphere was less jovial than usual. On a typical day, the place is bustling with business, excitement, and anything that makes His Majesty's mood more pleasant. With the King's age and ailments, Henry's temper is shorter than it used to be, while his waistline is larger. However, today was different. Today the people loitering around did not wear smiles but somber expressions. Melancholy wafted through the air. Though those at the palace waved and nodded their welcome to the Prince and Princess, it was strained greetings.

These things made Mary wonder as to the state of her father because this atmosphere, coupled with the urgent message, seemed dire. Her left hand wandered to Charles's, seizing it tightly, and her right held on to the side of her dress, running its blue fabric through her fingers. Only when she felt a squeeze from the Prince did the mounting apprehension calm a bit. His Highness continued holding her hand and soothingly moving his thumb as they wound their way through the palace halls. Coming to a stop in front of the King's rooms, the guards immediately stood at attention, bowed, saluted, and moved to let the royal couple enter.

Archbishop Cranmer rose from a chair and shook hands with Charles. He bowed to Mary and explained, "His Majesty is infirmed and abed. He has been so since Friday last and only sent for you a few days ago, as he did not wish to spread worry. It started with his leg, which has plagued him for so long. While the leg was ailing him, a fever broke out, followed by a cough deep in the chest. The royal doctor has been with the King since this started and has given frequent updates. Her Majesty, Catherine Parr, has also been sitting vigil bedside. Doctor Peterson, the King's new physician, does not give much hope for a successful recovery. I am terribly sorry to be the bearer of that news."

It was treason to predict a King's death to His Majesty himself, but the doctor knew enough to tell the man closest to Henry. Charles thought it suitable for the physician to be aware of things to come. As the Prince pondered the King's health and the new palace doctor, his wife drew in a shuddering breath. Deep down in her heart of hearts, Mary knew the news wouldn't be good, but it was still difficult to hear.

Her father is unhealthy. The last time his leg acted up, it was a miracle he survived. So, now all she can do is pray, wait, and be present. The Queen, informed of the Brandon's arrival, stepped out to welcome them. She looked tired and unwell herself. Her blonde hair was in disarray and pulled back from her head while her dress was wrinkled. None of that mattered as much as the King. Her strained voice told them, "Henry has been asking for you both. Please, see him. It would mean so much."

Charles and Mary drew themselves up and followed Her Majesty into the bed chamber. It was dimly lit, except for the fire going in the fireplace. The King was lying on the bed, his body covered in thick blankets and fine linens. He looked as frail as Mary felt at the moment. Seeing her magnificent, larger-than-life father in this state reminded the Princess of all the feelings when she last visited her Mama's deathbed. A part of her died with her mother, as it does for anyone who loses a loved one.

Having two living parents is like having two wings. With both, you can fly, and Mary flew for a long time as a child. Then her parents were taken away from her, and she had to survive on her own, fly solo. Gradually they returned to her life, and her mother died. One of the wings was broken for good. And life was hard.